Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advice on the Zoli Z Sport. I’m considering purchasing a Zoli and want to hear your thoughts on the difference between the Z and a Beretta DT 11. I’m in the market for a 30” sporting.

·
Supporting Vendor
10,127 Posts
I've owned Perazzi's, Kreighoffs, Beretta's....etc, and early this year I got a Z Sport HR. So far, I'd say it's the best shotgun I've ever owned. The barrel regulation is very impressive, the trigger is real good and with the magnetic weight system under the forearm and the weights under the grip area, I've set up the balance that I like. It is a great gun, period.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I did some research and ended up buying a lightly used Zoli and it is amazing. I was looking at getting a 32 HR, but just missed one and found a MR a few weeks later. The HR has an adjustable rib and I thought I might need it, but the MR for me fits perfect. First pro; the barrels. I had 2 other brand guns that had really bad regulation and I was getting really gun shy and nervous with the next O/U I would buy. The first thing I did was test the barrels and they were spot on. Next pro for me is the rolled comb. It fits me perfectly. I know that for some shooters it doesn’t seem to give a consistent fit, but for me it is amazing and smooth on my cheek bone. And the recoil or lack there of, based on fit and function is really great. I have nothing bad to say about Zoli and know that Norbert and Jason are solid in their work so I feel like everything can be taken care of.

For you though, depending on your shooting style, you may want to look at the HR with the adjustable rib option. I like a sporting style gun and my MR is about 4” high at 35 with stacked beads. If you go with a HR, you can raise the comb and drop the rib to align the beads and get a higher shooting “trap” gun.

Good luck with your choice. I believe Zoli is an underrated or under marketed Top Class gun. It’s up there with the P and K guns.

·
Registered
659 Posts
The Zoli Z guns are the best buy out there. They feel very much like a Perazzi but cost about half as much. They are reliable, nicely made and fitted, and soft shooting. They also have great service down at their national headquarters in Texas.
When I let a friend try mine he came back with big eyes and told me he had just shot his best score ever. Begged to buy mine, sold his three Perazzi's and bought another Zoli.

CT

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
7,901 Posts
I like mine. OU is a tad flatter than I’d prefer but barrels are perfect.
They’re the softest shooters I’ve ever owned.

Reactions: Tron

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've owned Perazzi's, Kreighoffs, Beretta's....etc, and early this year I got a Z Sport HR. So far, I'd say it's the best shotgun I've ever owned. The barrel regulation is very impressive, the trigger is real good and with the magnetic weight system under the forearm and the weights under the grip area, I've set up the balance that I like. It is a great gun, period.
Off course, most everything about shotguns is personal preference, but this is quite an endorsement! I have the Z-Sport 32" flat rib and is quite a finely solid gun with very low recoil. As yest have not really put it through its paces, but will start shooting again as more places open.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
I shoot K guns and Browning ,Beretta and Fabarm.I also shoot a zoli Kronos that Devault put a high rib on for me.The zoli is an excellent gun and has been very dependable.A great gun for the money!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don't know the difference between a DT11 and the Z Sport but I had a DT10 and now have a beautiful Z Sport MR. To me it feels more solid maybe heavier I don't know but hands down my favorite gun, super quality, moves great, looks great. I don't notice any significant recoil. So glad I bought it!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm hoping all the good things I read about the Zoli Z guns are true. Last week I took possession of a flat ribbed one with 32" barrels and blued/blacked receiver. In yesteryears I bought an Angelo Zoli skeet gun. I didn't like the short barrels and kinda whippy feel, but my older brother loved it and so it was on loan to him for several years while he competed in local skeet tournaments and won the occasional tournament using it. Okay gun, but just not for me. By contrast, this Z gun just looks and feels much more like a quality product. Unfortunately actually shooting it will have to wait awhile.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Big fan of the z gun, I have shot several but don’t own one right now and I’ve never shot the trap models. for a gun of that weight, 8lbs 4 oz if I recall correctly, recoil was minimal. I Shot both 30 and 32 inch barrels In flat and mid rib and really enjoyed them all. I found the rollover comb to be very comfortable for me and they use one of the best stock recoil pads I’ve ever mounted. Construction and build quality felt top notch, my only gripe is that I would like prettier wood standard. If I had to pick one today it would probably be a z sport 30 inch mid rib, I’m fairly certain I’ll own one once I can convince myself I won’t miss my P gun

·
Registered
70 Posts
Bar far the most solid gun with best barrels out of all my guns (I've owned Rizzini, Berettas, Brownings, Blaser). I really love the gun, and wanted it to be my go to gun... but shoot my Blaser F3 better... probably because of the high rib. Don't know what it is, but I just shoot higher rib guns better, but like the feel of flat ribs... After I sell my Zoli Z flat rib, I'll likely get a high rib to see if I can shoot it as well as my F3... I just like the build quality better on the Zoli vs. Blaser. By the way, everyone that's handled it at my club also agree that it's the best balanced gun and that it feels like a tank in terms of build quality.

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
I’m in the market for a 30” sporting.
You should buy the 32 inch barrels and never look back. If you ever need to sell the shotgun down the road? You'll be sooooo Gladdddd Youuu Didddd! You'll never ever notice the extra 2 oz's of weight in the barrels.

Between your two choices. I'd go with the Zoli hands down. Good Luck to Ya. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
76 Posts
You should buy the 32 inch barrels and never look back. If you ever need to sell the shotgun down the road? You'll be sooooo Gladdddd Youuu Didddd! You'll never ever notice the extra 2 oz's of weight in the barrels.

Between your two choices. I'd go with the Zoli hands down. Good Luck to Ya. break em all Jeff
Let the man go for the 30’ barrels if that’s his preference lol. I love a quicker set of barrels for the clay that catches me unfocused and slow to react. Everyone’s results may vary

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
Let the man go for the 30’ barrels if that’s his preference lol.
Because I"m trying to do him a favor!!! Nobody is buying a 30 inch barrel today. Except for skeet. Not many new shooters joining there ranks today.

The only person's looking for 30 inch barrels today-----Are Newbie's Like You. Who after there first year, wish like Hell's Bell's, they had bought some 32 inch barrels. That's Why!!! Every person shooting Trap or Sporting Clay's wants a shotgun with 32 inch barrels. Unless they have a physical handicap. If that was the case here? Then why would the OP be looking at shotguns in excess of 8 1/2 pounds? And not looking for a lighter make of shotgun to start with!!! The difference between the two barrel length's are only 2 oz's!!! break em all Jeff

·
Registered
70 Posts
Because I"m trying to do him a favor!!! Nobody is buying a 30 inch barrel today. Except for skeet. Not many new shooters joining there ranks today.

The only person's looking for 30 inch barrels today-----Are Newbie's Like You. Who after there first year, wish like Hell's Bell's, they had bought some 32 inch barrels. That's Why!!! Every person shooting Trap or Sporting Clay's wants a shotgun with 32 inch barrels. Unless they have a physical handicap. If that was the case here? When why would the OP be looking at shotguns in excess of 8 1/2 pounds? And not looking for a lighter make of shotgun to start with!!! The difference between the two barrel length's are only 2 oz's!!! break em all Jeff
My perspective is that it depends on the course. I have 28, 30, and 32" guns... my go to is always between the 30 and 32. If the course that I'm shooting can be shoot with an IC/LM and is in the mountains/heavily wooded, I take the 30". It's just faster to target. If my course is in open field where I know I'm going to be shooting M and IM (U3s), then I take the 32". So it all depends on what you usually shoot. I have found after fiddling with chokes for a good couple of years, U1 and U2 cares for 90% of the courses around me.

·
Registered
76 Posts

The only person's looking for 30 inch barrels today-----Are Newbie's Like You. Who after there first year, wish like Hell's Bell's, they had bought some 32 inch barrels. That's Why!!! Every person shooting Trap or Sporting Clay's wants a shotgun with 32 inch barrels. Unless they have a physical handicap. If that was the case here? When why would the OP be looking at shotguns in excess of 8 1/2 pounds? And not looking for a lighter make of shotgun to start with!!! The difference between the two barrel length's are only 2 oz's!!! break em all Jeff
I love the weak resale of 30 inch guns as I’m not a new gun guy so to me the “nobody wants them” is a bonus. Now, if we had a decent market with plenty of used zolis in the US, i would be even happier!

·
Registered
691 Posts
I own both a 32" and a 30" (actually 75cm) Zoli. Have owned Blaser, Perazzi, & Guerini sporting o/u's. I LOVE the Zoli guns. As for bbl length, I like the 30" gun for skeet, 5-stand games and soft & close courses; however, I would not use light chokes. Initially had Mullers, but they are too light @ 1.31 oz/pair. Balance was off for me. I bought a set of Trulock custom made chokes from a friend...they weigh 3.1 oz/pair...gun really balances well now. 30" gun weighs 8.0 lbs and 32" gun weighs 8.2 lbs. These guns are superbly balanced. If I had to only own one, it would be the 32" gun, but the 30" is fun for "fun". The 32" is "serious". If you are somewhat new to all of this, get a niced used 32" Zoli...you'll save a few thousand. Just send it to Norbert @ ZoliUSA, and for $200 or so, it'll be like new. I absolutely love these guns and feel privileged to own them...both were bought used and sent to Norbert.

It's interesting that no one has spoken up for the DT11, and most folks have glowing reports about their Zoli shotguns. Seems the DT11 does not have the following that the DT10 did for years.

·
Registered
76 Posts
THERE IS A BEAUTIFUL 30" ZOLI FOR SALE ON THIS WEB SITE...ASKING $4400 SOMEONE NEED TO JUMP ON THIS IF YOU REALLY WANT A 30" GUN!!!
That’s a hell of a deal too, $1K under what they usually go for on the web!! Someone buy it!

·
Supporting Vendor
10,127 Posts
My perspective is that it depends on the course. I have 28, 30, and 32" guns... my go to is always between the 30 and 32. If the course that I'm shooting can be shoot with an IC/LM and is in the mountains/heavily wooded, I take the 30". It's just faster to target. If my course is in open field where I know I'm going to be shooting M and IM (U3s), then I take the 32". So it all depends on what you usually shoot. I have found after fiddling with chokes for a good couple of years, U1 and U2 cares for 90% of the courses around me.
That’s pretty funny. So, you use different barrel lengths for different courses? I guess we learn something new every day.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts