Trapshooters Forum banner

Zoli Z Sport MR

2983 7
Got a wild hair to give a Zoli mid rib (MR) gun a try. Would appreciate input from those of you who actually own or owned one and comments (positive or negative) before taking the plunge. Thanks in advance and good shooting, Rey
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3,967 Posts
Wasn't the ticket for me, Rey but YMMV. I also tried a high rib Sporter K-80 and a Guernsey. I am now 82 and I guess it's been too many years shooting flat rib guns of all descriptions. Back to my childhood now shooting Model 12s and a 42 getting ready for doves.

· Registered
796 Posts
Rey,
I did own a Zoli Z flat rib as a back up to my prime gun.
Shot it many times and thought it was a great buy and gun. Don't have it now because a friend asked if he could try it and after shooting it came back and informed me he had just shot the best score in his carrier with it and demanded that I sell it to him, which I did. Then he sold his 3 Perazzi's that he was tired of repairing the loose ribs on and purchased another Zoli.
I believe the Zoli Z guns are the best buy on the market with a great feel and balance, reliability second to none, very soft shooting and great service at ZoliUSA in Texas. Not to mention great fit, quality and a very handsome gun that comes with very nice wood without a surcharge and available with your choice of 3 receiver finishes.
I would recommend that you try a flat and mid rib to be sure what works best for you.
In the long run, you won't find a better gun if it fits and works for you, good luck.

CT

· Registered
239 Posts
I own 2 Zoli Z-Sports: A Z-Sport high adjustable rib, and a Z-Sport mid-rib. Both are 12 ga. and both have 32" barrels. I also own a Zoli Verona LX980 flat rib.

With the mid-rib Z-sport, and with the adjustable high-rib in the highest position (50/50), I shoot sporting clays and skeet equally well and can interchange these 2 guns. I shoot Trap much less than the other 2 sports, but when I do, I use the high-rib with the rib in the lowest position (70/30). I think the mid-rib gun is perfect for sporting clays, and I do very well with it for skeet as well.

Both of the Z-sports also have the Bilanx BHB weight system, but I don't really use it, and wouldn't recommend spending the extra money for it unless you are professional level. I got both of my guns used and the system came with both. Both guns are very close to a hinge pin balance point without any weight added. The weight for the mid-rib was around 8 pounds 13 oz. with chokes installed and balanced right on the hinge before I added weight. I have mine balanced about 3/8" behind the hinge and it weighs 9 pounds and 6 oz. with the extra stock weight. The closest other gun to feel that I've tried is a Kolar Max-Lite Sporting, which also weighed around 9 pounds 6 oz without any weight added. For me the Zolis come with just a little too much stock offset, so I highly recommend getting the adjustable comb. Barrel regulation is basically perfect on these guns. I can put laser bore sights in all of these guns and the poi will be within 1.5 inches for each barrel at 40 yards. This has been born out with pattern testing. They are very soft shooting. I just don't notice the recoil on them.

Never had a problem with any of them. I have sent the trigger on the Verona back to Zoli for some adjustment, but the triggers on the Z-Sports have been perfect. Nice to have the removable trigger, but I rarely have need to remove it. The mid-rib just came back from Zoli after a service after shooting something over 50K rounds, but I could have probably put another 10 to 20K rounds through it before sending it back. It is like a new gun again. Zoli service is very good and not too expensive. Zoli USA is located in Texas.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Zoli.

· Registered
38 Posts
Got a wild hair to give a Zoli mid rib (MR) gun a try. Would appreciate input from those of you who actually own or owned one and comments (positive or negative) before taking the plunge. Thanks in advance and good shooting, Rey
Well, I don't own one but have shouldered many and owned many Brownings including a 725 trap deeply modified that I sometimes dial up differently and change chokes for Sporting Clays. Of all of them, even as a left hander, I think the Zoli MR is the nines and one of the most "pointable", natural-feeling shotguns I have ever shouldered. If I could afford the $7500-8000 price, I would have it and shoot it for Clays and Trap; it points and sites that well. I feel more comfortable at about a 60/40, though I have the 725 set for 70/30+.
I don't know where the Zoli shoots, but it just FEELS right. 2.5 years in I am still struggling with my 725 Trap and am looking a 725 HR Sporting in LH if I could find one. IT points like the Zoli. When in comes to my shoulder the rib disappears and the beads are tight stacked, almost as one. For me, that spells no distraction, no head movement and a broad plane to float a bird on, live or dead (clay).

For what it is worth ... my 2 cents.

· Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you to those who have taken the time to respond both on my post and via PM. The MR Zoli struck a cord with me and brought back very fond memories of years gone by shooting flyers with a Perazzi I owned. May need to rekindle that romance once again. Good shooting, Rey

· Registered
570 Posts
Here’s my baby and I love it. I shoot mostlyi sporting clays and it is perfect for me. I bought it without ever holding one and just going off what people said. I took it out and for me it felt like the gun was built for me. I have added a spacer and a FalconStrike recoil pad to mine and that gets the LOP to 15.5” which is right for me, but out of the box it shot great and just felt like a hunting gun but pointed so naturally.

The rolled comb is different and for me as a low gun and sporting shooter it is great, but I do know some guys like to have a more defined ridge on the comb for anchoring and feel. The barrels are spot on and the best of any I have tested and I take regulation pretty serious (I had some bad experiences with other brands). And I really like the trigger, nice and crisp. I also had a few questions so I called Zoli and either Jason or Norbert answered right away and were more than willing to help and answer anything I was wondering about.

Good luck with your decision.
Musical instrument accessory Wood Office equipment Font Electronic instrument
Wood Trigger Shotgun Musical instrument String instrument
Wood Wood stain Hardwood Musical instrument Metal

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.