Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
as long as your gun is where it needs to be when you pull the trigger the target should break, congrats on the great shooting

·
Registered
148 Posts
I also have been loading 7/8 oz for years using Clay Dot. Can shoot all day long with the light recoil. Love it and powder lasts longer too!
Jamie

·
Registered
789 Posts
Give the Remington "TGT-12" wad a try with your load of 16.0 grains of Alliant E3 powder. :hand16:
I just switch after 40 years spent loading 700X to Clays as have been loading 7/8's for some 25 years, lower recoil, scores went up. As far as Alliant E3 powder, is it clean burning ? I hear its the "go to" powder now for 7/8' & 3/4 oz loads?

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
s far as Alliant E3 powder, is it clean burning ? I hear its the "go to" powder now for 7/8' & 3/4 oz loads?
It is super clean, and very consistent lot to lot. I used it for 7/8, 1 oz loads since it came out. Also for 9/8 oz loads later. Now that I can't shoot Trap anymore, I use it for 9mm minor, 40 minor and major and 45 bullseye loads. It performs just as spectacularly in those cartridges.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Was that a registered event?
It was not... not a lot of registered events arround here... i started shooting trap when the kids joined a high-school team a few years ago. Shotgun is not my primary shooting sport.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is super clean, and very consistent lot to lot. I used it for 7/8, 1 oz loads since it came out. Also for 9/8 oz loads later. Now that I can't shoot Trap anymore, I use it for 9mm minor, 40 minor and major and 45 bullseye loads. It performs just as spectacularly in those cartridges.
I also shoot it in the 45 for target loads. 3.7-4.2 gr behind a 167gr sw is a very pleasant load for Bullseye competition. Its not as clean there, but the pressures are pretty low...

·
Registered
830 Posts
I've been shooting 3/4oz and my magnum 7/8oz for trap loads for years. I only went to 7/8 because I had a whole lot of Federal paper once fired hulls given to me and 2000 straight walled 7/8oz wads in the basement waiting to be used. I use 700X or Promo. Great shooting. Wish I could do that.

·
Registered
186 Posts
First night shooting this year between winter and covid. Some people give me a hard time for shooting wimpy 7/8 oz loads... (16 gr E3, win waa12L, win aa hulls)

No hard time given tonight...

What Choke does one Use for 7/8 oz at the 16 yard line ?

·
Registered
434 Posts
So does 3/4. I tried to figure out a 7/8 oz. load in the mid 1980's, but didn't come up with anything I liked.

With CB wads, it makes it much easiser.

Good luck and all the best.

Joel

1 - 20 of 57 Posts