Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions?

I see a MEC reloader on here that would be great for my son from member atadams77. However, I do not have enough post to PM or respond. Am I just out of luck?

I posted in here because I have a youth shooter that shoots Trap, Skeet, and Sporting.

·
What squad am I on?
Lots of different guns...
7,900 Posts
Yes, you are out of luck.

https://www.trapshooters.com/thread...rs-want-to-buy-want-to-trade-sections.265247/

A member must have 50 decent open forum post to gain access to the For Sale by Members/Want to Buy/Want to Trade Sections(Private Messages do not count). Padding your post count with posts such as TTT--Nice Gun--Cool--Plus 1--quoting another member and posting the quote and the various other 1--3 word posting will result in a banning(no exceptions) Moderators do monitor how new members and others use the forum and will not show tolerance for "Cluster Posting" to reach the 50 post threshold.
Deliberately trying to circumvent the 50 post rule by listing items for sale in other parts of the forum--ghost posting with threads and posts of a "price check" and "considering to sell"--will result in a suspension or ban.
Using an App on your mobile device to circumvent the 50 post rules will cause you to be banned permanently.
Active Participation is required: Once a member has reached 50 posts and then exclusively just uses the For Sale by Members section it is showing admin. that they just want to be on the forum to sell and use the free classifieds and will ultimately lose their privileges to use these sections.
Active Participation is defined as: Posting quality information in the Shooting Related, Gunsmithing, Reloading, and Youth Trapshooting areas. Off Topic, Political and The Events areas do not count as participation for continued usage of the Participating Members Sales area.
NOTE:You will not be able to use the PM feature till you reach 50 open forum posts.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I see several out there in the price range so maybe there will be some when I qualify.

·
Registered
526 Posts
If you live in SE Pennsylvania there are presses available at most clubs. Check ur local clubs someone may be selling one!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback. My struggle with the decision is cost - buying retail box of shells vs. reloading a box of shells. I have seen that this is a highly debated subject in here so just gathering information and talking to folks that do it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also considering that reloading may make the 14 year old shooter more invested in it and have a better appreciation for the work and cost that is involved in what he loves.

·
Registered
Perazzi MX10 RS
94 Posts
Definitely check your local gun clubs. There’s always somebody hanging onto an old reloader that is probably willing to sell. Helping get/keep the next generation interested will always motivate one of the old times to let something go for a fair price. Good luck!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the feedback. Will wait to send a message so I don't appear to be going around the rules. Plus still learning about it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Which mec reloaded are you looking for .?
That is a great question. I like the MEC product so leaning that direction. My struggle right now is trying to determine if it is worth it or not. I like the idea of doing our own so I don't have to worry about finding inventory or a "good price".

If I were to just pick one I like the 9000GN for the fact that it is progressive. However, I would also consider any of the other models just to get my "feet wet" with reloading. Like I started the thread with my 14, almost 15, year old is our primary shoot so he will be doing a bulk of the reloading.

·
Registered
95 Posts
There are several threads on this forum regarding the economics of reloading. I won't try to summarize those here other than to say if you don't buy supplies in bulk and shoot a lot, you won't save any money.

In my opinion, reloading is a good education for a shotgun shooter and I applaud the notion of a youngster having to put some effort into the activity. You might consider getting started with an inexpensive loader that wouldn't cost you much. I started on a PW single stage and loaded many shells on that machine. It gave me a real feel for the process having to work on one shell at a time. After a few years my brother bought a PW progressive and I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.

I don't reload anymore because the economics of reloading don't make it worth the time for me. Having said that, I do look back fondly on that activity and may do it again when I retire.

·
Registered
198 Posts
First, I think having your child do the reloading, at least for practice ammo, is a great idea. By the time I was 15 I was loading almost everything I shot, mostly due to cost and availability. Stress the responsibility of loading correctly as “you will be shooting it.”

Second, For a person new to reloading I say you need a MEC single stage press. They are inexpensive and well built, but more importantly they are simple. I’ve been loading a long time -36 years- and recently got my first progressive shotgun loader. There is a learning curve with one! Especially if something gets out of alignment or adjustment.

Third, find a mentor to teach the system or rhythm of reloading. It takes 6 cycles of the press to load a round on a single stage, and that is 6 places to stop and look to be sure things are right. There is no such option on my 9000’s.

Fourth, Pick a load and stay with that until you are experienced and know how to adjust things. If you only buy and stock one powder, wad, primer, then you can’t mix it up. Sticking with one hull, I’d suggest a premium one as they load easier and last longer, and one wad and shot weight means few if any adjustments to the crimping process after you get it set up (see mentor above.)

Lastly, there will be failures. The critical thing is they never include a double charge! Messy crimps, spilled shot or powder are easy to remedy.

Even if you only break even your child now has time invested and and should be on their way to a lifelong hobby that can save money and ensure they can shoot no matter how bad the ammo hoarders get.

·
Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
11,968 Posts
I've got a 650 you can have. It's a progressive you have to rotate by hand, but it's simpler than a 9000 the moves on it's on. The 650 is my personal favorite and very usable. If interested, I'll get back to it and finish checking it out. Was donated by @Curly N himself.

12 ga?

1 - 20 of 97 Posts