Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chris here in CT. I am new to the forum and would greatly appreciate some guidance/opinions. I have an 8 yr old boy who desperately wants to join me in shooting clays(will start him on skeet field). I need a youth gun for him in 28guage(softest recoil). Would you go with o/u or semi-auto? and lets hear some models please. Thank you.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Remington 1100. You can get a youth stock for it,and when you no longer need or want it,there's always a market for it.Whats not to like..Just one mans opinion.

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Rem 1100 but get the LT-20 in 20ga. It will cycle the light 2.5 dram 7/8 oz promo loads, which are more economical than 28 ga loads (unless you reload). Recoil is very soft.

The ideal setup is the LT-20 Magnum with a 2-3/4" barrel. The heavier action sleeve dampens the felt recoil even more. This is what my son started with.

With a thin, soft pad, the buttstock can be reduced to about 12.5" LOP. The problem for very small hands is that the grip should be closer to the trigger. I solved that on my daughter's 1187 20ga by moving the stock tenon (the part that fits into the back of the receiver) back a half inch. This helped a lot.

·
Molon Labe
11,992 Posts
1100 X 3, light recoil and a good gun

·
Registered
168 Posts
Not to sound like a know it all but my son who is currently 18 years old has had 11 different guns. We started him at age 7 with a 20 ga 870 but found weight and recoil an issue. We moved to a 20 ga 1100 and tamed recoil but he couldn't last holding it for a round of trap. We then went to a Benelli super 90. Weight was not a problem but recoil was. Trying different loads didn't solve it adequately. After playing with different over and unders in 20 or 28 gauge an idea hit me. I found a knock off of a Beretta 303 called a Tradition's 2100 ALS 12 gauge. It was a youth version and came with a 24" barrel and short stock. I loaded up a bunch of 7/8 ounce loads. He started hitting 20's at trap and skeet. It weighs less than a 870 20 ga and kicks less than a 20 shooting 7/8 because of the larger bore diameter. As he grew we upped the loads and he did fine. The gun is now on it's third child.

·
Premium Member
4,214 Posts
12 gauge beretta 391 with the youth stock. depends on how big the kid is. 12 gauge with light loads and you can then buy a longer stock and longer barrel.

best to go to a gun store someplace and try out the gun first before you buy. let the kid have some decision in the process

·
Registered
232 Posts
im a die hard browning guy but ill back up the others .... rem 1100 20 to get started and then go with any o/u 12 in browning or if the auto feels best then the maxus,,,

·
Registered
27 Posts
My 12 year old Daughter is shooting a Remington 870 youth model. I think it has a 16" barrel. She has been shooting for less than 6 months and breaking 19+ bird on a regular basis. We just got back from Ken Rucker her Stoger Condor. Hopefully she can shoot it as well. Go with the 870 to start, it is inexpensive and can break clays.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Hello: A Beretta 391 20 gauge 26" barrel with 3/4oz loads and a modified choke. It is light enough they can hold it and the recoil is not bad for them. Beretta is coming out with a 28gauge A400 they say next year. Could be an option if you reload. My 11 year old shoots a 28 gauge Ruger Red Label with a cut down stock that the Country Gentleman did. I down load then to 1030-1060 and he does fine at sporting clays. Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
62 Posts
Beretta 3901 RL Target, no question! I was a die hard Remington fan until I gave these Berettas a chance! I would say a 303 20ga would be not far behind but still way ahead of the Remingtons!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I agree with THEKIDFAN. I started my 12 year old daughter off with a Beretta 3901 RL Target and she is still shooting it at 15. It has an adjustable comb and adjustable LOP that goes from 12" to 13". Perfect for the kids. My boy shot it when he was 8 this summer. He hit is very first target out of the house with it! He should have no problems with it at 9 this year.

We got the 12 ga models and I load them down to 7/8 oz. I've seen kids shoot this gun in a 20ga and a 28ga. Shells are just a bit more expensive and harder to reload if you don't have the equipment. Either way, I think this is the ideal gun to start kids off with.

Wass

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm on board with the Beretta 3901 (which is a 390), youth model. It comes in 26" or 28" and an adjustable Monte Carlo stock that can be lowered to field dimensions or raised to trap dimensions. The length of pull is adjustable from 12-13". When they outgrow it you can buy a standard 390 stock and it'll bolt right on. Use a 7/8 oz load and the recoil through the gas operating system will be felt less than a 28 gauge. It will also give him a better pattern to break targets. We all know the more targets he breaks the more fun he'll have.

I have two boys (11 & 14) and I am 4H Shotgun Instructor. Hard to beat the 3901 for quality, adaptability, and affordability. They're about $850 new or sometimes you can snag a nice used one for $650ish. Not sure they are still offered new by Beretta, but there's probably still a few out there since it was available at the 2011 Grand.

http://www.berettausa.com/products/3901-target-rl-12/26/

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
I have started my 9yr old small statured nephew with an 11-87 Rem 20 gauge..its an entirely smaller and trimmer scale gun and with a 26" barrel hes already breaking high teens and a low 20 or two consistently..the gun didn't break they bank either and he beams carrying it because of the beautiful glossy wood and bluing with the fancy scroll engraving,..I highly endorse this as a starter

·
Registered
340 Posts
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=377555060

Or
How about the 28 gauge semi-auto for sale here?

·
Registered
14,688 Posts
No 28 gauge! You'll have to buy a loader and the componants are hard to find and cost more. Requires a special powder too.

20 ga., Remington, Beretta, auto for recoil. When short of time, you can buy em at Walmart. Not always so with a 28. (at $10.00 - $12.00 a box)

A Benelli will kick more cause it's recoil operated, and they are not trap type gun. Adjustable comb is an asset.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If, and I highly recommend this, you reload, a BT99 Micro. Load the rounds to a reduced velocity 7/8 oz load. You can't shoot doubles, but as trap guns go, he'll be in it for a while. Graco makes a good variety of recoil reducers, adjustable butt-plates and length-of-pull adjustments. As of this moment, I have a LOP adjustable buttplate on its way to me from Midwest Gunworks. It was less than $60. I opted out of the recoil reducer because it's being shipped with my newly repaired Browning Recoilless. (If i want reduced recoil, I'll shoot it. The Gracoil looks like a fantastic unit, but the rehab on the Recoilless was expensive)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts