Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We hear a lot of talk about which is/was the best semi-auto.We hear talk of the Win SuperX Model 1,Beretta 391,Beretta 400.Has the 390 been lost in the shuffle? Your thoughts on the Beretta Model 390.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
The 303 is probably the best Beretta SA target gun. Choke tubes, simple, and dependable. No need to shoot 3" shells. Everything since then has been introduced because they needed a new feature to keep people buying new guns.

·
Registered
772 Posts
The only significant difference, aside from "looks" between the 303 and the 390 is the simple, spring loaded gas escape piston that allows the 390 to function from light 2-3/4" shells all the way through 3" magnums. It is simple and easy to clean, when needed, and not nearly as complicated as the 391. I have two, and will not need to buy another 12 ga. semi-auto for the rest of my life. If you like the 303, you should like the 390 as much or more. -Ed

·
Registered
7,042 Posts
I've seen many happy shooters that owned a 390.

I'm told the Beretta 400 is the improved, modernized version of the 390 and 391 line.

Picked one up the Excel sporting model a few weeks back and a joy to shoot (without the Beretta recoil reducer).

After years of shooting 1100's I immediately saw that Remington missed the boat in regard to modernization.

Easy to breakdown and cleaning is simple. No Breakfree needed to clean this gun and keep it up and running after every couple 100 targets.

The T&S shell catcher for the model is much better then the one they sell for the 1100.

·
Sky Buster
4,171 Posts
I've seen many happy shooters that owned a 390.

I'm told the Beretta 400 is the improved, modernized version of the 390 and 391 line.

Picked one up the Excel sporting model a few weeks back and a joy to shoot (without the Beretta recoil reducer).

After years of shooting 1100's I immediately saw that Remington missed the boat in regard to modernization.

Easy to breakdown and cleaning is simple. No Breakfree needed to clean this gun and keep it up and running after every couple 100 targets.

The T&S shell catcher for the model is much better then the one they sell for the 1100.

·
Supporting Vendor
5,832 Posts
I have a 390 and a 391. Both are great guns. The 390 is easier to clean and maintain.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I have a old 390 sport that I shoot for 12 ga skeet. a few years ago I took this gun to Argentina and Uruguay on a hunting trip.I shot this gun for 3 weeks without cleaning it .Some days I shoot over 500 shells and sometimes the gun was so hot that I would pour a bottle of water thr the ejection port into the barrl to cool the gun off.I shoot spanish 1 1/4 all the time that i was there.Never even a hickup..I had a sore thumb after this..I shot this gun without the magazine plug in it.If I ever go again I will bring two auto,s and let my bird boy load the gun for me..I shot so many ducks in Uruguay that when I die the ducks will do a flyover for me.I shot a lot of gunny saks full'of them ducks.They still shoot lead in Uruguay and it a deadly load compared to steel.These guns ate so good the outfitters rent them if you don't want to bring your own gun.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My 390s kick more than my 303 did, the price of using 1 barrel for 2 3/4 or 3" shells. Sold the 303 , still have the 390 and 3901.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I shoot with a guy has been shooting the same 390 for the last 10 yrs, it must have over 500,000 rounds thru it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts