Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long did it take you to make AA or AAA at 16 yard trap from the time you shot your first registered target and how many shells did you shoot in practice and competition to get there?

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
How long did it take you to make AA or AAA at 16 yard trap from the time you shot your first registered target and how many shells did you shoot in practice and competition to get there?
We don't have AAA.

My first shot in competition was with a 686 DTL (trap) U/O in February 2017. I bought the gun a few weeks earlier. Shot 36/50 and came 2nd in C grade. I was so proud.....

Shot a lot of practise and comp. Didn't really get any better.

I thought (of course!!) that is was the gun so I bought a 682 Gold X Trap. Didn't improve much.

A local guy helped me and suggested I take a coaching course with Suzy Balogh (Olympic gold) in October 2017. I did so and ZOOM. B grade in November 2017, A grade in February 2018.

I attended the 2018 Trap Nationals in March 2018, won A grade high gun and was regraded to AA the day before the World Championships started immediately after the Nationals.

I learnt that targets alone don't get you there. Spend some money on good coaching, learn about gun fit and shot routine and you'll advance more quickly than if you just shoot a crapload of practise with no purpose or structure.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Took 5 years to get to AA singles average, that was in 2017 with 2000 single targets. I've finished a couple of other years with AA average since. This year with only 500 targets I'm running AAA average. Most of the time I'm high A.

·
Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,512 Posts
5 years and about 20k targets to get to AA. A clinic from Leo helped me breakthrough. I would break good scores 98-100, but I mostly eliminated the odd 91-93 when I finally bumped up.

Took 6 years off and was able to maintain that level. Fell just below last year, but up to AAA so far this year. Hoping to keep it up.

·
Registered
554 Posts
It was 1975 and if I remember correctly it was about my 3rd registered shoot I broke my first 100 straight. Three months later broke a 199x200 to win MD's class A. Shot AA class after that. Had a long run close to 300 straight. Also made the 27 yard line all with in my first 7 months of shooting. Was also nominated for ''Rookie of the year''.

·
Premium Member
Perazzi MX2000 31.5/34 combo with a prosoft
1,512 Posts
Thats what i need to learn how to do....

It took me 6 years and roughly 14k targets to end the year with AA average and ive only done it once. Seems like every year i shot enough targets id end the year with a mid to high 96% average.
I had 3 straight years of high 95s. Something just clicked after that clinic. Didn’t let a bad day turn into an awful day. Shot a little over 2000 targets that year and ended with 97.4. Only one time that year did I have an “oops.” Broke a 90 on the front half of 200. Turned it around and broke the back 100. I don’t believe I’ve had a score below 95 since, which is kinda crazy (aside from a big 50 at diamond).

·
Registered
25,562 Posts
Still trying. But getting kinda old now. Afraid I probably won’t make it.
Chief
Why not? You’ve got the gun. You’ve got all the advantages the shooters 40 years ago and even 20 years ago lacked. Relax. Enjoy the game instead of pushing yourself extremely hard and just apply the things you’ve learned on this forum. It will come.

Reactions: Township Chief

·
Ya can't miss with a shotgun
2,936 Posts
I had 3 straight years of high 95s. Something just clicked after that clinic. Didn’t let a bad day turn into an awful day. Shot a little over 2000 targets that year and ended with 97.4. Only one time that year did I have an “oops.” Broke a 90 on the front half of 200. Turned it around and broke the back 100. I don’t believe I’ve had a score below 95 since, which is kinda crazy (aside from a big 50 at diamond).
My guess is you’re probably cheating and using a 12 gauge:D

·
Keystone Shooter
2,363 Posts
Why not? You’ve got the gun. You’ve got all the advantages the shooters 40 years ago and even 20 years ago lacked. Relax. Enjoy the game instead of pushing yourself extremely hard and just apply the things you’ve learned on this forum. It will come.
Thanks Flash for the encouragement. Definitely appreciated. I’ve certainly learn a lot since becoming a member here. I’ve had my ups and downs over the last 5 years since I started shooting trap. And I’m continuing my quest.
Thanks again
Chief

·
Registered
57 Posts
For singles it was about 15K registered targets and about 7-8K registered doubles to finish the year in AA. I’d ballpark maybe 10K total practice targets along the way before getting there. I was registering targets for 15 years total and I was shooting seriously for 5 or 6 of those before I hit that level.

I finished AA/27/AA for the first time (finally!) for the ‘21 target year and just hope the upward trend continues!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts