Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've been shooting trap for about a year only in the spring and summer four times a month. The best I've shot was a 23. I average around 19 to 20 a round. How long did it take you to bust 25 straight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've been shooting trap for about a year only in the spring and summer four times a month. The best I've shot was a 23. I average around 19 to 20 a round. How long did it take you to bust 25 straight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
do not get exited the first will come and the ones after but what about the last one?

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
In theory I have figured out how to shoot a 25, pay attention 25 times in a row. Sometimes it works.

My problem is WHEN to shoot a 25. When I am spending time teaching a new guy on a casual time out, I shoot 25 in a row, and back it up with another 25. Of course nothing counts that day. Sometimes I show up for league night and shoot 22. Then to back up that 22, I shoot a 21. I must be thinking about something else instead of paying attention.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Shot first trap target on a Thursday (one round) and the following Saturday our club had first registered ATA event. Ran the third box for a 92 and won the singles. I figured this must me my game but 20 years later still shooting at them and some days they easy and some days they tough. jim w.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Started shooting trap in 1970. 3rd or 4th time out I ran 25 from the 16 yard line with a 97 Winchester. Still have it.

Happy Shooting.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Been shooting trap a year & a half now, first 25 was within the first two months of shooting. Then within 4 months shot a 50 straight for my first time. Since then have shot 8 total 25's, & hope to get more. I just purchased a new gun so I hope I can keep it up!
-cheers

·
Banned
10,106 Posts
1965. Took me around 1 year. That old JC Higgins pump wasn't the ideal trap gun. Of course the targets weren't fluffed up, voice activated, orange things either. I think I have the original scoresheet somewhere!!

·
Registered
298 Posts
I just started to shoot again after a 25 yr. Layoff . I am blind in my right eye now so I had to learn to shoot left handed
I started out with a 12 out of 25 and it took me 4 months to break my first 25 straight . My worst problem I think was getting my foot positions .

·
Registered
206 Posts
I shot my first 25/25 yesterday, 6 June 2015. I've been shooting rifles and pistols since I was a kid. I shot a shotgun once about 45 years ago and I never owned one. I'm 73 with 20/25 vision in both eyes. I have to say that lifting an eight pound gun is a chore for my left arm. Yesterday's 25/25 was shot in my 16th round with a borrowed 11-87 Remington. I was introduced to Trap 14 May 2015, a little over three weeks ago. My first round was 8/25. The guys at the club have been great as I've used four different guns over that time. I've been reading everything I can get my hands on and ordered the Phil Kiner video that I've watched twice in the last four days. This forum has been great in its information and tone toward new Trap shooters. Thanks guys.

I've ordered a Browning 725 Citori Trap 32" that should be in my hands Wednesday. I'll let you know how that goes. ;-)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Thank you guys,I know what u mean about lifting an 8lb. GUN. I just shot at 300 tgts. Yesterday in the worst windy conditions I ever shot in . AA shooters we're shooting in the 80's .That was the first time in 25 yrs.I shot at 300 tgts. It was a ruff day. Congrats on your 25 straight.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Took me a couple years, but I would only shoot trap about 2-3 weekends a year when I was home visiting (lived overseas for a while). Also, until recently, I was primarily a pistol shooter for the past 25+ years. I only got into trap because my dad got too old for the fun pistol games like USPSA and took up trap, and because shooting a couple rounds of trap takes up less time than spending a whole day at a USPSA match (gotta keep the wife and kids happy).

Strangely, my first 25 was from 20yd line shooting the handicap portion of a 50-bird match (IIRC, I shot 23 from the 16yd line). I was tied with someone else, but lost the shoot off.

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
I was a young teenager at the time. About 13, maybe 14. Not really sure. But I remember the day well. My biggest problem was me!!! I was really unsure I could even break all of them, so I had doubts that I could break this target or that target. If you have any doubt about a target before you call "PULL" You Will Miss It. This will keep you one or two targets short every time out. If you have a problem with say station 3 then shoot it first, and tell yourself I will break this target and then call pull. In short you lack "Confidence". Now its time to work on the Mental part of the game. Surely you can break just this next target right!!! One at a time. Remove the fear and replace it with confidence!!! Now call "PULL" Good Luck and break em all. Jeff

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
It took about 4 months going about 2-3 weekends each month. Reading the threads here helped me pick up a lot of tips that really helped. Some of the best I try and remember are to focus on each bird like it is the only one, don't think about the last one you missed or about the next one you have to make, just focus. The Jordan wall chart was another..

Keep it up because if you can shoot a 23, you can shoot a 25.
When you are at home....In your garage w/five 1" brads...goes up & down in minutes.

The leads will become automatic with repetitions...lots of success stories with the Jordan Wall chart.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts