Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been shooting trap for about a year only in the spring and summer four times a month. The best I've shot was a 23. I average around 19 to 20 a round. How long did it take you to bust 25 straight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Thorn in your side
8,117 Posts
Not very long, but I was shooting a couple hundred or more a week when I first started. Mostly practice and some league. My first 25 was at league night with the same team I still shoot with.

Now I shoot 1500+ a month registered easily.

Hang in there. It will come, and after the first they come fairly often if you stick with it. The first is the most nerve racking, although I still get excited when I do it. Luckily it happens several times a month now. Still waiting for the 100 straight though.

Good Luck

·
Registered
36 Posts
I started last fall and shoot over a hundred a week since, and I too I'm waiting to break 25 straight. I have come close 24 but usually shoot 23's and 22's. I seem to have my most trouble on station one. I have to say it's good to hear they come more often once you do it. I'm getting a little frustrated dropping two and three targets, being so close yet so far.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Took me about 6-8 months in practice and then a bit over a year in a Registered shoot. I then got my 50 straight and 75 straight soon after when I shot a 99 in a singles event. Keep with it, the first one is always the hardest. They will come in bunches after you get the first one off your shoulders.

My oldest son shot his first 25 straight the first month he started trap shooting. Young eyes and quick reflexes are a great thing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
This was about 5 years ago. I shot at 100 on a Wednesday. First time ever shooting trap and hit from 18 to 21 targets on each round. On the following Saturday ran 75 straight and finished with a 97. I was shooting my duck gun - Remington 870 magnum. Shot for almost a year after and never beat that 97. Then I bought a trap gun. Since then, the scores have improved and are more consistent. It'll come. Don't think about a 25. Think about one target at a time.
Davin

·
Banned
10,357 Posts
I started shooting trap in 1969 at Altus AFB Gun Club in OKLA. I shot both skeet and trap then. My wife and I were married at Altus in 1973. That same year I was assigned to Chanute AFB ILL. as an instructor. I shot my first 25 straight on trap there around July of that year. My wife added hers shortly after. We were shooting cheap Mexican shot, Alcan **Max Fire primers, 700x and Used wads! I was a buck Sgt. on a 300 dollar a month salary! We would wash the old Herters wads we picked up at the club and dry them out!

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'm still waiting this is my first year at I've broke quite a bit of 24s but it never fails I drop a straightaway on station 3 never fails....I've been shooting on 2 league teams and usually subbing on a 3rd so I've got a lot of practice but it will come Im pretty sure I'm looking at the total score to much and just should go bird for bird and not think about a 25

·
Registered
189 Posts
I shot my first 25 after about two months. It took me about a year to hit my first 50 straight. After a year and a half, I hit my first 75 straight a few weeks ago and missed my 100 by one shot. Each milestone gives you a mental edge that makes it easier to do it again.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Took me about 4 months after picking up a gun for the first time shooting once a week. Some results are skewed and should include how long the person was shooting prior to picking up trap. I've been shooting since March 2014 and lead our club in 24s. Not sure that's an accomplishment or not...

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Well I was 10 yrs old had been shooting a pumper 20 getting the snot beat out of me hitting 19-21 of about 2 months. I finally convienced dad to let me shoot his 101 and the next weekend 25. I remember that day like it was yesterday.

Not only hook line and sinker, but I think I ate the entire tackle box. Its been an addiction ever since.

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
Just shoot. Don't think. If you think about it you miss the bird. Also do not get complacement on station 3. Doing so is a great way to ruin a good round of trap.

BTW wait tll you try doubles. Now that is a fun game.

·
Banned
197 Posts
Took about 6-7 months for my first 25 and about 4-5 months later for my first 50 and hit my first 75 on the same day. My best score so far has been 97/100 and I've done that in competition a few times. My best 200 bird score is 192/200 and I've only done that once so far. I'll have another chance this weekend, there's a club hosting a 200 bird shoot and I'm hoping to attend.

PS- In-between, before and after shooting 25's, 50's and 75's ....I also want to be clear that I have had some absolutely terrible scores as well. Last Tuesday (5/19) I shot a Big 50. I believe my first score was 22 and my second was 17 so I don't want to give anyone the impression that I somehow have mastered this game or that shooting perfect scores is somehow second nature to me, because that's far from the truth.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I've been shooting regulary(1000+ registered targets)since the 2013 ATA season.
I can't remember my first registered 25, but remember my first practice 25 sometime during that 2013 year. It was with my new 1100 sporting model. Before that I shot an 887(the ugly water proof remington) and never did better than a 23.
Around May 2014, I finally saved up for an OU. Bought the fnh sc1 at a great price and got a few 98's. The 25's came more regularly since then, and finally got a 100 in September. Haven't gotten another 100 since, but got close with a 99. I Got a lot more to improve on.

Once you do hit that 25, many more will soon follow. Don't count and don't think about the 25. It'll come a lot sooner that way

·
Banned
197 Posts
I've been shooting regulary(1000+ registered targets)since the 2013 ATA season.
I can't remember my first registered 25, but remember my first practice 25 sometime during that 2013 year. It was with my new 1100 sporting model. Before that I shot an 887(the ugly water proof remington) and never did better than a 23.
Around May 2014, I finally saved up for an OU. Bought the fnh sc1 at a great price and got a few 98's. The 25's came more regularly since then, and finally got a 100 in September. Haven't gotten another 100 since, but got close with a 99.
Got a lot more to improve on, but once you do hit that 25, many more will soon follow. Don't count and don't think about the 25. It'll come a lot sooner that way
Completely agree with the last statement. DO NOT COUNT losses OR dead birds. Shoot each target one at a time and don't think about anything other than shooting the target you just called, not the target before or the target after.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I started last fall and shot my first one in a registered a few weeks ago shot another this weekend, you will get it and then it will keep rolling! Any choke will work just make sure its FULL.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Don't be afraid to try (borrow) a different gun occasionally. I've seen shooters struggle with an ill fitting gun for months before switching and seeing a big jump in scores.
Bill

·
Registered
163 Posts
This was about 5 years ago. I shot at 100 on a Wednesday. First time ever shooting trap and hit from 18 to 21 targets on each round. On the following Saturday ran 75 straight and finished with a 97. I was shooting my duck gun - Remington 870 magnum. Shot for almost a year after and never beat that 97. Then I bought a trap gun. Since then, the scores have improved and are more consistent. It'll come. Don't think about a 25. Think about one target at a time.
Davin
One target at a time. Sounds like an excellent plan !

·
Registered
775 Posts
It took me almost a year to break my first 25 straight. Same story as every one else with plenty of 22's, 23's and 24's but that darn 25 kept eluding me. Last August 5th I finally got it. The monkey was off my back! This past Saturday I broke my 43rd 25 straight in less than a year with a couple of 50 straights as well. Once I took the pressure off myself that I had put on myself, it became easy. It WILL happen for you! Then when the pressure you put on yourself is no more and your confidence level is higher, the sky's the limit. As Kaye Ohye told me "it only take two things to become a good trap shooter....time and money". Time to practice breaking targets and money to pay for breaking them. Be patient and it will happen. Best of luck to you. (-:

·
Registered
775 Posts
BTW I forgot to mention that a buddy from my club broke his first 25 in less than 3 1/2 weeks of shooting trap. He broke two 25's the same night as well. He shot some sporting but no formal trap. He is really talented. And if you read this PK aka "Wonderboy" I hate you cause I'm jealous! lol

1 - 20 of 37 Posts