Trapshooters Forum banner

You won't believe this...

3306 Views 16 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  FlynLiver
I like to tinker. Tinkering led to working on some guns. That led to "my guns locked up, can you fix it?" So I got the gun, tried racking the slide and yep, it was locked up.

After disassembling as far as I could my eyes were in disbelief. A substance had fully saturated the slide, breech and extractors, firmly locking them into the barrel extraction grooves rendering the slide tube frozen as well. It was most certainly locked up. A gently pry here and pry there led to a gun in the vice, a dowel in the barrel (fixed barrel) and a dead-blow. After the third or fourth whack it let loose, allowing me to see the extent of the goop damages.

The breech block was junk, goop had leached inside the extractors, locking them solid so it went into the trash. A dental pick and lots of solvent later, I had the receiver cleaned out. Reamed out the end of the chamber and mag tube then polished. Replaced the breech block, cleaned the slide tube rod, carrier and slide assembly then reassembled and test fired. Back to normal.

Called the guy and said "come and get it". I had to ask what the heck he did and his reply....

"I guess I used a little too much Loctite when I put the Weaver base on"

Just a tad.

Cheap beer cheers my friends, it can always get worse.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
6,610 Posts
Had a guy bring me A Remington 742, 308, its ripping a junk out of the rim and not extracting the case he says. How the loctite hadn't ruined every part in it I will never figure out. The chamber had a coat of loctite that was holding the last or third case he had fired so firmly that the case had to be machined out. No amout of polishing of the chamber could save that barrel, the residue made it hard to extract an unfired cartridge, while a fired cartridge left the case with a piece ripped out by the extractor stuck firmly. Later it was admitted that the bottle of loctite was used to when mounting a scope base. How it only ruined the barrel is the real mystery.

Al

· Banned
2,714 Posts
I like to tinker. Tinkering led to working on some guns. That led to "my guns locked up, can you fix it?" So I got the gun, tried racking the slide and yep, it was locked up.

After disassembling as far as I could my eyes were in disbelief. A substance had fully saturated the slide, breech and extractors, firmly locking them into the barrel extraction grooves rendering the slide tube frozen as well. It was most certainly locked up. A gently pry here and pry there led to a gun in the vice, a dowel in the barrel (fixed barrel) and a dead-blow. After the third or fourth whack it let loose, allowing me to see the extent of the goop damages.

The breech block was junk, goop had leached inside the extractors, locking them solid so it went into the trash. A dental pick and lots of solvent later, I had the receiver cleaned out. Reamed out the end of the chamber and mag tube then polished. Replaced the breech block, cleaned the slide tube rod, carrier and slide assembly then reassembled and test fired. Back to normal.

Called the guy and said "come and get it". I had to ask what the heck he did and his reply....

Just a tad.

How do you think he did that? Dunk the gun in a vat of locktite?

· Registered
6,262 Posts
Careful, Wad, that's how I got started gunsmithing. In my case it was a hand-me-down 1100 that malfunctioned constantly until I practically rebuilt it. Then putting 1100 links back in right for other guys, then the occasional 870 or Model 12, then.......kept doing it until I enlisted, where I got to work on a whole new set of firearms as an Armorer/Small Arms Repair. I'm "semi-retired" now, I only work on family and friends' guns, and the occasional emergency work at the club.

· What squad am I on?
TriStar TT15
8,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
And he was putting a Weaver base on it? Was he planning to use a scope and then shooting slugs?
I left out this part and it all makes sense after thinking about it...he called me when he first tried mounting the base saying the screws didn't fit in the holes in the receiver. So he purchased another weaver base thinking the first one had the wrong screws and after those didn't fit either he thought there was a problem with the holes. Scratching my head and thinking "there's no way" I asked "you removed the dummy screws, right?"
Looooooong pause.
"Oh, that explains why the screws won't thread into the holes!"

"Yup"

:unsure:

I have to add to all this by saying that this guy truly seems like a good dude. We often take for granted what we've learned and who taught us what we know. In turn, I'm sure there's things this guy knows that we're clueless about. Thing's that are a no-brainer to some are totally foreign to others, all determined by our background.

· Registered
2,414 Posts

Just a tad.

I have a sign on my tool box that says.
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID.
BUT YOU CAN CHARGE FOR IT.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.