Trapshooters Forum banner

You Can Shoot 100 Straight with Steel Shot

5216 Views 57 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  spitter
These two guys did it within a week or two of each other. And we have two extremes here, with Joe on the left being 59 years old and Kevin on the right a young 26.

Muscle T-shirt Smile Vacation Drink

Badge Emblem Logo

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

· Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
13,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you.

It's not as hard as you might think from 16 yards. Shells from the club are #7, 1325 fps crushers. I shoot #6 at about 1200 fps and I get good smoke too. With the bios we throw, you can get a nice white cloud either way. We don't shoot any differently than with lead. Same game really.

· Registered
308 Posts
Lead will smoke a target while steel will only break it, lead will break a target while steel will only dust it. I would call it a lead advantage of about 1 to 1.5%. Just my opinion but I would like to here others opinion on this as well.

13,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I heartily disagree, particularly with "Lead will smoke a target while steel will only break it". You need to stop by our club sometime so you can see for yourself. They are so close, it's hard to discern, say nothing about describing a difference in some meaningful way. There may be one more dusted target with steel than lead - maybe 1 more every other round and that's just a guess. And that's if you're missing. We're talking about the wrong end of the performance curve fellas. Get on your targets and you can enjoy smoke cloud after smoke cloud all afternoon.

You really should try it some time.

13,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's what I'm trying to dis-spell here. The bad image that steel shot has. You're in a difficult situation. Maybe you can personally invite a few shooters from other clubs so they can see for themselves. Just a thought.

13,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What steel loads are you shooting? We often note how well our steel shooters do when they shoot lead. Does that mean it's harder to break targets with steel? Maybe. How much better is your avg?

I'll pick lead any day of the week, just like you. I struggle to quantify the difference. Is it really that great?

13,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hope not.

That's a mighty lean difference. Would you be willing to keep a log of your scores this year and compare at the end of the season? I'll do it too.

· Registered
303 Posts
I agree non-lead shot is likely to take over, alas, given the trend. However, as the posts above state, steel shot shouldn't make a huge difference (even though steel can never work as well as lead). I urge people having trouble with steel to do some pattern testing, to see if there's anything unusual going on. At a local club that is steel only, both 1oz and 7/8oz loads were available (both #7). I opted for the 1oz version, wanting as many pellets as possible :) I found myself doing terribly. I ordered a bunch of good Winchester steel shells then, when they arrived, pattern tested all three. The club's 1 oz shells really were terrible, pellets all over the place with sizable gaps. On the other hand, the 7/8oz shells patterned quite well, as did the Winchester factory loads I had ordered. I believe the wad used with the club's 1oz shells just wasn't doing its job. I'm sure I encounter bad wads with lead loads; but, for some reason, it seems to be more critical with steel.

13,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Avatar - any chance you could takes pictures of those wads? We've worked with several through club volume purchases, but have never pattern tested them rigorously. We're interested in your findings. Thanks.

The 1 oz wad we're currently using through the club is the PT1260 from Ballistic Products. You can see it in the back in the middle in this picture:

Plastic Cylinder Glass Plastic bottle Laboratory equipment

The Winchester shells you can buy at the club have what you would recognize instantly as a AA wad without the two inner posts. They're a beige, flesh tone color.

Wood

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.