Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Bend and be straight" and other sayings are attributed to Lao Tsu

But with regard to shooting I have found what seems to make a significant improvement for me both in skeet and trap. I had noticed big swings between competition scores and what I could easily do in practice. I couldnt explain it other than tension. Same thing in International Air Pistol; a 567 (of 600) was easy in a local match (30 10s 27 9s and 3 8s) but was harder to repeat in the state championships.

I stood there so relaxed that the forend just sat in my palm,fingers loose on it, my buttstock grip was easy and simply "present". No tension in the back, legs, or arms. Target appears, gun moves smoothly to target, fires, and overswings giving a good follow through from lack of tension.

Nice easy brush strokes, almost sloppy, a feeling, rather than really seeing, or controlling.

In contrast to tension that can so easily creep in when one is thinking about score. It worked for my son who was always tense; his scores went way up in shotgun games and it brought him such a smile after enduring rounds of frustration.

I used to tense up before the shot, now I loose up. How many others have gone "loose" and produced better scores?

It is such a refreshing feeling!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Interesting.

I wonder how this "relaxed mount" will work in the target shotgun sports. The shotgun mount and stance is quite different than that of the rifle or pistol mount or grip. With the shotgun, in most cases, pressure must be exerted to keep the head on the stock, and the butt in the shoulder pocket. And the swing must be precise.

Some will claim that if the gun fits properly, then no effort should be required to keep the head and shoulders in the proper position. I don't agree. Others may argue the point.

Granted, I am not talking about needing a "death grip" on the shotgun, but "firm placement" seems to be necessary for consistent scores.

I can understand the value of "mental relaxation", but I am not so sure about the physical aspect.

bluedsteel

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Brian Zins said it best for me, something to the effect of, Free Pistol is too hard, you really have to be visually perfect there, but when it comes to triggering, I can stand there and pull hard with the best of them.

That applies to a lot of things, I think. You look at the greats in trapshooting, archery, anything...the ones that stand there and screw themselves up like a spring, seldom come out on top.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts