Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During some recent down time, I purchased and read Rollin's book. A lot of good info in it particularly related to some of the subtle relationships between technique (stance/mount) and gun fit. After spending some time experimenting, I now have a technique that matches my fit and vice versa.

One thing puzzled me that was not addressed in the book or previous posts on fit that I've seen - the direction of recoil of the muzzle. When I was working on pitch settings, I noticed that even when adjusted for minimal rise of the muzzle, it always moved slightly to the right rather than straight upwards.

From previous rifle shooting, I know that if you apply pressure on the stock in one direction the muzzle will recoil the opposite. If that applies to shotguns too, then it would seem to indicate that there is more pressure on the right side of the stock from the pocket (pressure to the left) that moves the muzzle to the right. This also fits with another observation - when using a soft pad such as the Gooey, I always notice wear at the lower right edge, presumably because of more contact there.

Do these observations indicate that I need to change something regarding the stock fit in my pocket?

Thanks for any info---

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HI Rollin:

Thanks for the comment - that makes sense. Would that be considered "normal" or is it caused by too much pressure from the right hand or a tendency to push to the left while gripping?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
HI Rollin:

Thanks for the comment - that makes sense. Would that be considered "normal" or is it caused by too much pressure from the right hand or a tendency to push to the left while gripping?
I would not call it "normal" but possibly "quite common,"

For single shot disciples, may not even be noticed and would certainly not be a problem. In doubles however, it may delay the second shot slightly.

"hotrodyankee."

Thank you for ordering a book.

Rollin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts