Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy everyone! I am recently retired and taking up what appears to be a new expensive hobby! I love to both shoot and reload. I have been reloading metallic cartridges for a couple decades now, but just acquired a MEC 9000E to reload with. I am in the process of cleaning and setting up the press. I admit that I love to reload as much as I love to shoot! I am located in Central Texas and definitely would like to watch some shoots before participating. I am seriously impressed by the vast experience here on this site. I am reading as much as possible to learn and absorb as much information as I can. I just wanted to throw my hat in to introduce myself. I look forward to interacting with y'all and learning from the experts!

·
Registered
11,126 Posts
Well First Off Welcome to TS.com!!!

So now were all experts!!! RLMAO

Sounds like you'll fit right in with the crowd here. Enjoy your Journey into the Clay Target Sports. I see no reason to try to tell you to run away while you can!!! Your hooked alright. Pretty deep too, from what I can tell. So there is little chance of you throwing the hook before your landed!!! LOL. Take care and have fun. This is the perfect game for people who don't think. So don't think, just shoot the dxxn target!!! Now then, Just Sit down a spell, and take a load off. Have a drink and tell a few tales!!! break em alL Jeff

·
Premium Member
5,557 Posts
Welcome to the retirement club as well as the trapshooting club. This is the time we spent our whole life working for! Remember, life is too short to sleep with ugly women and shoot cheap shotguns! Or is it cheap women and ugly shotguns? :LOL:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jeff - thanks for the welcome! I am learning a lot and having fun! Still adjusting to the whole retirement thing - that part is getting better by the day! As I learn more, I will figure out what gun to get started with, adjust loads, etc. I am definitely hooked!
Thanks again!
Jack

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Dukefan - I am a huge John Wayne fan as well! Have been as long as I can remember. I am starting off with a cheap shotgun, as it is what I own already, but will upgrade as my skills do! I had never understood the appeal of an O/U until I started shooting a shotgun on a regular basis. Now, I know it is what I want and the value of it. I have been borrowing my brother's guns (1964 Winchester 101 and Benelli Montefeltro), as I have been using my Mossberg 500 (don't judge me for that - I have had it forever!). I am having a huge time with it, and will have even more when I get the press up and running smoothly! Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
5,557 Posts
Thanks Dukefan - I am a huge John Wayne fan as well! Have been as long as I can remember. I am starting off with a cheap shotgun, as it is what I own already, but will upgrade as my skills do! I had never understood the appeal of an O/U until I started shooting a shotgun on a regular basis. Now, I know it is what I want and the value of it. I have been borrowing my brother's guns (1964 Winchester 101 and Benelli Montefeltro), as I have been using my Mossberg 500 (don't judge me for that - I have had it forever!). I am having a huge time with it, and will have even more when I get the press up and running smoothly! Thanks again!
Shoot whatever you have. My very first rounds of trap was shot with a Smith and Wesson Model 1000.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Welcome!
This is an excellent place to find all kinds of great people and information. I do a lot more reading than I do posting but I check most sections everyday to keep up to date.
Congrats on retirement! I have quite a long time to get there but certainly looking forward to having more time to shoot and reload.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys! I am definitely looking forward to finding an O/U, but will switch between my Mossberg and my brother's 101 until then. I really like the feel of the O/U as opposed to a semi-auto. I like semi-autos on other things, such as tactical uses, but the O/U just feels right for breaking clays.

·
Keystone Shooter
2,180 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and trap shooting. Great retirement gig. Find yourself a nice used Browning or Beretta O/U. With an adjustable comb. Easier to maintain over the semi autos. This site has lots of information. Just a bit of a caution. Before you ask a question on here make sure you’ve done a search. In most cases the question you may be going to ask has already been answered. So do a search first.
Have fun and good shooting
Chief

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, Chief. I do normally try to search things before asking as i never want to waste anyone's time. I definitely agree about the O/U over the semi auto. Thanks again for the welcome!

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
Welcome to the site and enjoy the sport. Lot's of advise for the asking from knowledgeable people. Be wary of any lures floating on the surface tap but don't always bite.

·
Registered
848 Posts
It's a lot easier to keep your empties with a break open gun, and you'll want to keep them after investing in the Mec 9000. Just a thought, a used Mec 600 Jr [ or whatever it's called now ] is always nice to have set up next to the 9000 to sometimes fix screw ups. And trust me, they do happen. I too enjoy the reloading as much as shooting. Because I shoot mostly old SxSs with lots of drop, they want to kick upward. For this reason, and because I'm cheap, my trap loads are 7/8oz, and all the other games are 3/4oz. I shoot for fun and those loads break clay birds just fine. Also easy on the wallet and shoulder. Because we go through shortages of supplies now and again I like to keep 10,000 primers and a couple 8# jugs of powder on hand - the wads and lead have never been a problem - yet. I also find it easier to have a couple of reloaders set up. I have a 9000H, a Grabber, and a Jr, all in 12ga. All mine were bought used and the Grabber was actually given to me - needed a couple of parts. I do my trap loads on the Grabber, and my skeet, 5-stand, and SCs loads on the 9000. Find where the state trap shoot is held in your state and visit it even if you don't enter. There'll be reloading suppliers set up there and you can buy a little cheaper. Good luck. Paul

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Welcome to the site and hobby! You can glean a great deal of information and interesting topics on the site .Enjoy retirement!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Welcome to the site and enjoy the sport. Lot's of advise for the asking from knowledgeable people. Be wary of any lures floating on the surface tap but don't always bite.
Bruce - thanks for the welcome - I have already seen a ton of knowledgeable folks here - I am reading a lot and trying to take it all in.

It's a lot easier to keep your empties with a break open gun, and you'll want to keep them after investing in the Mec 9000. Just a thought, a used Mec 600 Jr [ or whatever it's called now ] is always nice to have set up next to the 9000 to sometimes fix screw ups. And trust me, they do happen. I too enjoy the reloading as much as shooting. Because I shoot mostly old SxSs with lots of drop, they want to kick upward. For this reason, and because I'm cheap, my trap loads are 7/8oz, and all the other games are 3/4oz. I shoot for fun and those loads break clay birds just fine. Also easy on the wallet and shoulder. Because we go through shortages of supplies now and again I like to keep 10,000 primers and a couple 8# jugs of powder on hand - the wads and lead have never been a problem - yet. I also find it easier to have a couple of reloaders set up. I have a 9000H, a Grabber, and a Jr, all in 12ga. All mine were bought used and the Grabber was actually given to me - needed a couple of parts. I do my trap loads on the Grabber, and my skeet, 5-stand, and SCs loads on the 9000. Find where the state trap shoot is held in your state and visit it even if you don't enter. There'll be reloading suppliers set up there and you can buy a little cheaper. Good luck. Paul
Paul - thanks for the advice. While I definitely want the Spolar already, that is a commitment on a completely different level! I will definitely keep that in mind about the MEC 600 jr. I do try to be as methodical as possible, but i make mistakes like everyone else! I am still learning the ins and outs of the 9000E and getting it set up and dialed in. I will look for Texas trap shoots and go from there. Thanks again, Paul!

Welcome to the site and hobby! You can glean a great deal of information and interesting topics on the site .Enjoy retirement!
Ezekiel - thanks for the welcome. I am still making the adjustment to retirement - after 28 years at the same job, that is a significant adjustment!

First time I have done the multi-quote thing - I hope it all works out! If not, it will be a part of the learning experience!

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Bruce - thanks for the welcome - I have already seen a ton of knowledgeable folks here - I am reading a lot and trying to take it all in.

Paul - thanks for the advice. While I definitely want the Spolar already, that is a commitment on a completely different level! I will definitely keep that in mind about the MEC 600 jr. I do try to be as methodical as possible, but i make mistakes like everyone else! I am still learning the ins and outs of the 9000E and getting it set up and dialed in. I will look for Texas trap shoots and go from there. Thanks again, Paul!

Ezekiel - thanks for the welcome. I am still making the adjustment to retirement - after 28 years at the same job, that is a significant adjustment!

First time I have done the multi-quote thing - I hope it all works out! If not, it will be a part of the learning experience!
Redintex -
I too live in Central Texas ....near Kyle.
I shoot mostly at Bexar Community.....south of I-10....east of San Anton. If I can figure out how to PM
with this NEW SYSTEM....I’ll send my phone #.....where are you located ?

·
Supporting Vendor
10,237 Posts
There’s a bit of talk back stage with this forum....so, please don’t take this the wrong way, but here it goes. Are you a Troll?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Almost 65% sure? That is a specifically unspecific speculative statistic! :)

Not even sure what a troll is, but I am a real person with no agenda other than learning more about shooting clays and getting into this hobby. I can assure you, I have very thick skin - I just retired from working nearly thirty years, the overwhelming majority of that in maximum security prisons. I take care of my family first, then hobbies. I have no hidden agendas - I am here to advance my knowledge in this hobby. I have been a shooter for pretty much all of my life - just not as much with shotguns other than work-related training and occasional hunting. I will be happy to discuss further specifics off the main boards if necessary with other ways to verify who I am if that is in question.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts