Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas
I haven't shot a shotgun in several years. I am thinking real strongly about playing again. Sporting clays was my game and I always did quite well. I am looking for a new shotgun, and I think it will need to be a beretta auto. I see beretta has a new auto they call xcel400. What are the general thoughts on these shotguns? Thanks a bunch. Lee

·
Registered
411 Posts
Well, you sure don't have to clean them very often ! I like mine, seems like a good semi. make sure you get the kickoff, best invention yet.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Hello: You may want to do some reading up on the A400's. They have some problems. I would look for a good used 391. The kickoff is not needed if you use lighter loads. See if you can try one with the kickoff and without so you can makeup your mind if needed. Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
308 Posts
I second the try to find a used 390-or a 391 they are both proven performers I dont have first hand exp. with the 400 but heard the issues were with the bolt head gouging into the barrel .I own a 303 trap ,390 20 & 12. the 303 trap is a awsome sporting gun mine has the mobil choke barrel --if all i shot were new shells it would be my gun of choice.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I've had one for the majority of the year - My #2 sporting clays gun for when I don't feel like running a 302/303 or feel like going a little softer on the shoulder. Approximately 2876 rounds in, and nary any problems, save for some chambering issues with certain Rio shells and the occasional malfunction. Other than swabbing the bore, chamber and cleaning up the piston area, I went almost 2k rounds before I fully disassembled and cleaned it.

Feels good and balances well.

The kick-off is okay; it took some time for me to get used to it. If you ever want to try and remove the stock, you'll need to buy the thinnest Torx T-15 driver; even then you may have to grind it down to fit thru the screw holes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
5,000 rounds of reloads through mine with zero issues or problems. Gun has been a pleasure to shoot and I really find the kickoff enjoyable. The blue receiver seems to be the real issue with people that don't own one but have an opinion. I find it just fine, gun cycles very fast and is a joy to shoot. Doesn't always have to be a comparison of one gun to another. Enjoy and hit em hard!

·
Registered
456 Posts
I bought a 32" Parallel Target with the KO system just after they were released. My friend loved it so much he bought it from me for $200 more than I paid. KO system does eat up the perceived recoil, but it's not up to the level of the Auto-Buster, which is a nicer, more durable, and more user friendly set up.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
a buddy of mine said there were some silver receiver xcel sportings going around for a while. fella on gun broker was selling them. a50caliber was the seller. I would like to find one but I haven't had any luck. anyone know anything about these? thanks men. lee

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I talked with the fella that sells the silver receivered xcel sporting. nice looking but they cost a premium. not sure its worth it. I kinda like the blue. now I guess I need to find a blue one. thanks for the info men!!! lee

1 - 14 of 14 Posts