Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son and I along with my friend drew general elk tags for eastern Wyoming. Not the normal area I know but we have access to private ground with some good bulls. This will be a bow only hunt. I am super excited. I have shot one bull with a rifle. So need one with a bow. Here are a few bulls off this ranch my friends have taken
Plant Sky Elk Tree Camouflage
Clothing Sky Hunting Deer hunting Cloud

· Registered
29 Posts
Good Luck!

I’m not sure if you exercise at all, but it pays to spend some time working on your conditioning. Walking & Hiking. Especially carrying a backpack similar in weight to what you plan on carrying during the hunt. It seems like alot of guys get off the couch and head to Wyoming or Montana for a bow hunt and don’t spend enough time preparing physically.

· Premium Member
9,223 Posts
Do you take the meat from your Elk, or just the rack? Elk are big, beautiful, impressive animals, that must run 700lbs.and up, There must be a lot of good meat for sausages, chili and stews to make full use of the animal. Hope you are utilizing this resource wisely, as anti hunters just love it when we waste a good animal for a set of horns, as it plays right into their hands that we are wasteful uncaring clowns. My one and only Elk hunt was in Colorado and I took my animal at 320 yards with my 300 Weatherby and donated all the meat to a free meal catholic charity down in Colorado Springs along with some cash to make sure nothing was wasted.
Aloha One

· Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes all meat would be utilized. We have a walk in cooler at the ranch we are hunting. The rancher will bring a flat bed to the animal and load it for you so it can be cleaned and and get the hide off so it will cool faster. Also Wyoming is a wanton waste state like most states. It is law that all four quarters loins and neck meat be taken. Glad you donated your elk. I will feed my family for two years just like I did with my moose.

· Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Signman150 all I can say is pick a state you want to hunt and start buying preference points now. If it would be Wyoming it will help with three to four points to pull a general tag. 8-10 for a better unit and 13-16 points for a top rated unit. Then add in point creep. Demand is going up for these tags. Me personally I will bust the first bull I can shoot with a bow.

· Registered
69 Posts
High Master is spot on! I live in MT and have bow hunted elk since 1976. Yep, a long time ago but one rule never changes...get in shape! You've taken a bull with a rifle but this is a whole new game. Admittedly, the compound bow has moved the success potential out but stealth, wind, and endurance add yet another dimension when bowhunting. It seems too that in just 45 years the mountains have gotten much steeper.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.