Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to decide between the 391, 1100 and SX-1. I am familiar with the SX-1. but not the 391 (with the various models). Also is the current 1100 "Sporting" a quality piece? 12 Ga. Your thoughts and opinions please. Thank you, Jim

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I'd go 391. The Super X's are a great gun, but the 391's I've had have been maintenance free, and you have a lot of options.. factory choke tubes, adjustible stock, flat rib, high rib, multiple upgraded frame types, etc.

The 1100 is good too, but normally requires more attention on cleaning. Depends how much you shoot. Buy what feels the best. They all clean up pretty fast.

For sporting, I'd try a flat rib gun, 26 - 28" barrel. Prefer an adjustible comb. A 30" barrel on an auto is hard for some people to master.

·
Vendor
5,229 Posts
Beretta 391 Sport, 28" barrel with mobile chokes. $825.00
Mike Battista
727 410 5212

·
Vendor
5,229 Posts
Beretta 391 Sport, 28" barrel with mobile chokes. $825.00
Mike Battista
727 410 5212

·
Registered
9,984 Posts
Remman...that is an awesome looking gun and a heck of a good price on the gun above that Mike B. has for sale..you definantly should give it a closer look

·
Registered
9,984 Posts
Remman...that is an awesome looking gun and a heck of a good price on the gun above that Mike B. has for sale..you definantly should give it a closer look

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
FYI ... on almost any 391 or 1100 you should be able to find them locally for the same or actually at times better price than online.

I would trust either gun for your intention. I am a little prone to Remington instead of Berreta though ... a friend shoots a 391 and he thouroughly cleans his every 1000 rounds or so. I have an 1100 that has not had anything other than an o-ring replaced a couple times and a squirt of remoil in the action and trigger before shooting and the dang thing just keeps on kickin for well over 5 years now and it is shot at least 5 or 600 rounds a month. His 391 starts to act up when it gets a little dirty and it is also a little picky on what ammo he shoots in it where the 1100 is like a timex watch and shoots whatever is in the chamber.

Good luck and have fun ... both are good guns and you should be able to find a 391 new for $800 to $900 or even less and an 1100 for $600 to $700 or even less on the local homefront market.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I JUST BOUGHT A NIB WITH WARRANTY 1187 SPORTING CLAYS ON GUNSAMERICA FOR 649. HAVE NOT BEEN MADE SINCE 99. COMES WITH 30" BARREL AND RARE NICKEL PLATED RECEIVER AND 4 EXTENDED CHOKES. THEY MAY STILL HAVE A FEW LEFT
GUNSUNLIMITED OMAHA.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/classifieds/none/_976849677.aspx COPY AND PASTE

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the input. I'm between the Remington 1100 sporting and the 391 with a 28" bbl. How do the triggers compare? I assume they both have to be "touched up" but does one have an advantage? Thanks again. Jim

·
Registered
9,984 Posts
The triggers are pretty much a wash...and both can be cleaned up and the feel improved immensely by a good 'smith

·
Registered
868 Posts
I LOOKED AT BOTH THOSE GUNS ON THE RLY WEBSITE....THE 1187 SPORTING HAS A STEP RIB TRAP BARREL ON IT! THE 1100 LOOKS LIKE A SPECIAL ORDER FIELD GUN. NICE LAMINATE STOCK . THE REAL 1100 SPORTING CLAYS GUNS COME WITH EXTENDED REMCHOKES GOLD TRIGGERS AND A GLOSS TARGET GRADE WALNUT STOCK.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.