Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
I'm curious why you would want a 7mm STW when the 7mm Remington Ultra Mag not only is ballistically superior and doesn't have a case life-shortening belt but is also readily available without going through Remington's Custom Shop. I have both and haven't touched the STW since buying the RUM. I did buy two 100-piece boxes of new STW brass just in case the stuff becomes a true collector item.

Ed

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a friend who wants one. I shoot one everyday deer hunting and love it. it is a factory Remington sendero 7mmstw with a stainless fluted barrel and that is exactly what
he wants. I had a lot of people contact me from this website about 3 to 4 years ago win i was looking for one so i thought i would try it again. If you any suggestions i would apprec it.
Thanks Cliff

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
I understand what your friend is thinking. But today, the 7mm STW is a Custom Shop-only chambering due to its sharp decrease in popularity when the 7mm RUM was introduced. The cases are the same length and diameter at the case head but the STW is only that diameter at its belt while the RUM case is that diameter for its entire length, thus it holds more powder and headspaces on its shoulder instead of a belt, so the potential for case stretching is reduced significantly. If you handload, you know how important that is to case life. And with the scarcity of factory STW ammo, you probably do roll your own. By comparison, RUM ammo and brass are fairly readily available.

There of course are used rifles in that caliber out there but a lot of people who own them consider them future collector items and want very high prices for them if they will part with them at all. Mine is a stainless steel BDL with three factory options no longer offered on that model aside from its caliber - detachable box magazine, muzzle break and scroll-engraved receiver. Between its out-of-production caliber and those three factory features, it will be a collector piece down the road as not many were made in that configuration and even fewer are still in nice condition - don't show hunting damage or have an eroded bore. If I were your friend, I would buy the stainless Sendero he wants but in 7mm RUM. He would have everything your rifle offers and more.

You both may know all that already but I thought I would throw it out there in case either of you doesn't. Whatever your friend decides upon, I'm sure he will be happy.

Ed

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
I just checked one place - MidwayUSA - and found 7mm RUM brass available but not STW. Interstingly, they have 7mm STE brass...

Ed

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
Speaking about 7mm RUM, anyone interested in a NIB Cristensen (Carbon Fiber) rifle?

IMG_3956.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts