Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get into reloading. 12g, Single stage or progressive, let me know what you have...

Thanks
Nick

·
Registered
557 Posts
Progressive all the way. 30 tugs equals a box of shells. On a single stage it takes 100 tugs per box I prefer ponsness warren reloaders. Worth the extra $ what gauge u wanting to reload? If it is for .410 go with a single stage. It seems like loading a pencil

·
Registered
801 Posts
If your just getting started,keep it simple.Best thing I can tell you,get a single stage,Mec singles are good. If you look on ebay you can most likly pick one up for 100.00 or less. I have both ,single and progressive,and the single is my go-to press all the time. Best of luck with what ever you choose..Ray

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sterlingworth has it right. For the money mec single stage is the best first step before you advance to the progressive press. Remember loading is a "feel" operation as much as it is a mindless pull the handle operation. Good luck and enjoy the journey. Jerry

·
Registered
557 Posts
Buying a single stage makes sense based on price. But you will be selling it in 2 months looking for a progressive loader. The extra $100 to get one is worth it. I have posted u tube vids on the subject. And make sure you have a tray undder it cause u will drop shot. Pm me if u want more details. I buy and recondition them as ahobby.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Bite the bullet and spend the $$$ to get a good loader, I suggest the RCBS Grand, got one several years ago, dumped my MEC and never looked back. Woody

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
I will second the RCBS Grand. It is fool proof and you can load one shell at a time to get used to loading and have a great progressive when you are ready plus RCBS has great service. Bill Hom

·
Registered
557 Posts
I understand the mec lovers along with rcbs folks. But imo you cant beat a Ponsness Warren if u can get one at a decent price. Load a box of shells in less than 5 minutes. Whatever u buy just make sure ots mounted on a heavy/stable bench. You ll get consistent powder drops

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Ive got a nice MEC 600 JR 12 GA. 1 1/8 oz bar set up with the bushing of your choice. $100 shipped. 509-205-0357. Also have a 20 gauge setup. Jw

·
Registered
95 Posts
Better take brdslayr's offer. If you shoot weekly, that gives you 6 days to load 4 boxes of shells. Get a couple of beers, turn on the radio, and get away from the wife and kids for a few minutes a day. I actually enjoy loading shells. Never dropped shot and got discouraged with my MEC Jr., but with my 9000 I had shot and powder all over my bench the first week I owned it.

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
Learn how to reload on a Mec single stage press. After you get things figured out you can graduate to a Mec progressive and use the single stage to fix your mistakes on the progressive. A good choice would be a Mec Sizemaster so you can resize your hulls.HMB

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the words of wisdom..I picked up a sizemaster off EBay and have slowly collecting everything I need to get going.

Nick

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.