Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to buy a lot of mec bushings. I currently have 23,28, and 30. Would like to have 22 through 35. Let me know if you can help. Tried the adjustable bar and really didn't like it. Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have these MEC bushings :

10, 11, 13A, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 28, 29

30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 38

Let me know what you need.
PM me

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hope all of those mec bushings are more accurate than the three or four that I have if that's what is wrong. I picked up a converter for my 366 so it would take mec bushings but whenever I use them I end up with a powder drop that is way too low. Not the powder or machine that has a problem because every other type of bushing I use drops exactly what it says it should on the chart. I had a PW 'K' bushing in the other night that is supposed to drop 17.8 of red dot and it does drop that exactly every time. After shooting in 19 degree weather last night ,I felt I wanted to up my loads substantially and dropped in the mec #32 bushing. Rolled out 10 loads and weighed on both balance beam scale and electronic scale. Got 17.4 gr of the same red dot. Tried again and got exactly the same 17.4 gr. How can this be?? Put a #30 mec in next and got 16.2 repeatedly(way under again). What am I missing here? The only difference is the conversion adapter to go to mec bushings. Every thing looks great as far as tight fit of the bushing into the adapter and the bar runs very smoothly with the adapter and mec bushing installed. ANY IDEAS AS TO WHAT COULD BE WRONG? ........BUD

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
You put in a #32 and it dropped 17.4 gr. You put in a #30 and it dropped 16.2gr. Smaller bushing dropped less powder. Sounds like you need a #33 or #34. Jw

·
Registered
385 Posts
Yes brdslayer, but why would the mec bushings be so far from what the published data says they are supposed to drop? The 32 should be dropping 18.5 and the 30 should be 17.4 at least! This is mec's data I am quoting.....BUD

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Data to be used as a guide only. Variables include but not limited to different lots of powder, users on how they operate the machine. Call MEC and tell them their bushings aren't working properly in a Hornady loader. Please post their reply.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have never heard Ponsness or Hornady (PACIFIC) complain about exchanging each others bushings but, in my machine they do drop exactly what the charts say they should. My question was why would the Mec bushings not do the same? The converter (adapter) to use Mec in other machines is used everywhere and I don't hear Mec complaining about the thousands of extra bushings they are selling because of it. THANKS....BUD

·
Premium Member
1,726 Posts
my 31 bushing drops 17.4-5 gns of redot. according to the chart it should drop 18.5 such is life.

Brady

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Powder basics...
1 Keep your powder Dry

2 Weigh your powder drops

3 Weigh your powder drops

4 Weigh your powder drops

I have never had a bushing drop what the MFG says it will drop. So I weigh and make my own chart. When i load i test weigh every few shells to settle my mind that is dropping consistant... then I test the weigh a shell every 100 or so. Cant weigh enough or be careful enough for me.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Brady, maybe what you mean instead of " such is life" is SUCH is MEC. And you are the first one to step up and admit that the Mec bushings are horribly out of line in many of their sizings. Your results are the same as mine and I was just asking if something else could explain my experience with Mec but apparently we have the answer. As to other brands having the same problems, I have not found that. I as stated, am getting accurate and consistent drops from Ponsness and Hornady or Pacific bushings. Is it time to admit that in this most important of areas (powder drop) that many Mec bushings are sadly lacking in quality? THANKKS......BUD

·
Registered
385 Posts
WesleyB, YOU are absolutely right that weighing the powder drops is imperative and of course I do so or I would not have had a clue that the mec bushings could be so inaccurate. The one saving grace is that they have, in my experience, been dropping light not heavy, otherwise things could get downright dangerous. If they were only out a few tenths of a grain I could accept it but a full grain plus?? People who use Mec machines must have to sleep with their scales close by since Mec bushings are all they can use. At least I have the option of using other bushings in my machine which I can have confidence in! Of course I still check with my scale but so far it has verified their accuracy.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
If bushings match the chart, it is purely coincidental. It's a starting point. Every new jug of powder will weigh different. I've even had 8lb jugs with the same batch number from the same Alliant case box, meter different.

1) You are putting way too much into the bushing chart.<br>
2) You are totally missing the usefulness of the 366 bushing system. They have the best bushings of all of them. They have them numbered closer together and their numbers are the ID measurements of the bushings.

So you have to buy new bushings, big deal. They are a couple bucks a piece. The cheapest part of reloading by far and the MOST important part and that is proper powder drops.

I use a 366 and have lots of Hornady bushings for it. I have a couple MEC's and a bunch of MEC bushings for it. If I could use the Hornady in the MEC, I would.

AND CHECK WITH A SCALE.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts