Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My grandson started shooting an A/R recently. He came back home this weekend and dropped off a good size bag of once fired 223 brass and asked if I could reload them for him. I said sure, now I need to get set-up. I bought the conversion kit but would like carbide dies. If anyone has a set of dies that they don't use any more, PM me with a price and where to send the check.
Thanks,

·
Registered
8,460 Posts
Also, do the Dillon dies come with a carbide expander ball? If not you may need some way to lube the inside of the necks to cut down on the chattering. When I saw where you needed to lube even the Dillon carbide dies, I went another route and got a set of RCBS of Small Base dies and bought a Hornady/Pacific carbide expander for about $32 and a couple bottles of Dillon spray lube. I would guess the standard dies would show wear sooner than the real carbide dies, but I've not noticed any yet and have loaded several thousand. Make sure your brass is clean before sizing to reduce the chance of imbedded dirt scratching your brass.

On another note, did your grandson bring you commercial brass or crimped primer military? If military you'll need to clean up the primer pockets before repriming. There are a couple ways to do this. Hopefully you have commercial.

Bob Falfa

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On another note, did your grandson bring you commercial brass or crimped primer military?
He is a good kid, COMMERCIAL. I hate dealing with the military crimp. I also use the Dillon lube, along with a little bottle brush that has a tiny bit of lube that I run through the neck. I will use 223 load data.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.