Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WTB- about 500rds unprimed 223 brass, would prefer new, but would consider once fired as long as it was resized,uncrimped, trimmed. Thanks

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Brassman is good but I've generally had to process his brass. Gunbroker is a great source of both fully processed and brass with crimped primer pockets. Federal brass is generally considered too soft and with too small a volume for loading with the 79 gr bullets now being favored in 3-gun matches. Lake City is my favorite. I have a bunch of Federal that I like for light bullets as it is very consistent.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Google Cheyenne Brass located in Cheyenne, WY; I've bought once fired .223 commercial brass from them before. They also sell other supplies. Once fired commercial brass will save you lots of money versus new brass. Another hint, make sure you small base size each shell if you're shooting it in an automatic. Once you've fired the reload in your gun I then only neck size the shell (this saves you the lube process and thus saves time) which requires the purchase of another die but it's well worth it. I also invested in a drop-in gauge to check the shell after firing. So far, after reloading 5 times, no stretching of case and 100% reliability. Darrell

·
Premium Member
10,465 Posts
I would avoid the military brass , even if it has had the primer pocket reamed in the processing

The neck thickness seems to be greater- which you can ream that out yourself but why bother?

Commercial new brass is so cheap- why use anything else? You can then reload it yourself and only neck sizing will be needed because it came from your own rifle

regards from Iowa

Gene

·
Premium Member
10,465 Posts
He didnt say it was for an AR- good point though

You need to full length size if it is for an AR- or you probably do- I guess you could try neck sizing - if you are just going to use it in one gun and see what happens-- chrome chamber- you might be ok because brass shrinks slightly before ejection

Gene

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.