Trapshooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still reload lots of Federal paper, have tried the 'replacement wad' recommended (Red 8), but it a little too high for 1 1/8 oz. loads. Would be interesed in purchasing any 12C1 wads, they are hard to find since Federal quit mfg. them. Let me know.

Bob G.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I was talking to the Alliant Powder rep at the North Carolina State shoot this year and he suggested using the 12C3 wad in the Federal Paper Champion hull. I have quite a few but I have not tried this wad. I use the replacements with good results.
Bill

·
Registered
16,537 Posts
Face it, you are not going to find any C1 wads unless you are very lucky. the last ones I heard about were in Toronto someplace last winter.

I would as stated here use the 12S3. Genuine Federal. I think the factory loads use it now. 12C1 just got too expensive to make.

HM

·
Registered
85 Posts
Why are you using a Red 8.

I would recommend that you use a 12S3 that is what Federal use to list as a replacement wad for papers besides the 12C1.

Good luck on finding 12C1s since you are probably aware of they don't make them anymore.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Actually the 12S3 is about the same height as the Red 8 and its a tight fit for 1 1/8 oz, so I don't know how Federal crams it all in there. But most reloading manuals list the good old WAA12 as a suitable wad for papers with 1 1/8 oz, and I have found that they work quite well. I know those wads are for tapered hulls and all that, but they have a deep enough gas cup that they seem to seal quite well in the papers.

Tom

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
I have used thousands of red 8's and have no trouble. I save the last 5000 12c's I have for game shooting with 22.5 grains of green dot. Jeff

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I bought 30,000 12C1s just before they disappeared from the market. I think that I'll leave whatever I don't use up, to my grandson, in my will.

Ed Yanchok

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Try loading 18.5 grains of 700X with the ClayBuster Red 8 wad and 1 1/8 oz of shot. 700X is very dense and takes up less space in the hull than most other powders. Works great.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.