Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Banned
1,205 Posts
Yesterday, Gipson said at the SCTP awards ceremony, though probably not his exact words, that he has faith and hope that it will not close and it is his belief it will not close.

Shoot well

John

·
Registered
480 Posts
I don't want to feed the rumor mill, but this was the story from yesterday. Randolph County approached the Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources about taking over the facility. The IDNR was directed not to talk to county politicians by the Governor's office. From my naïve thinking, this would mean the Governor doesn't want to loose the complex as a bargaining chip. If they really wanted it gone, they would jump at the chance to unload it. I can't prove any of this, and it maybe just a story. You'll be hard pressed to find a politician to give the real story. From our local perspective, Randolph County control would be a good thing.

Todd

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I guess none of you have played chess, you can't anticipate you opponents next move and it's not over until it's over. None of you can see the future so why don't wait until it arrives....................

Surfer

·
Banned
1,205 Posts
I don't want to feed the rumor mill, but this was the story from yesterday. Randolph County approached the Illinois Dept. of Natural Resources about taking over the facility. The IDNR was directed not to talk to county politicians by the Governor's office. From my naïve thinking, this would mean the Governor doesn't want to loose the complex as a bargaining chip. If they really wanted it gone, they would jump at the chance to unload it. I can't prove any of this, and it maybe just a story. You'll be hard pressed to find a politician to give the real story. From our local perspective, Randolph County control would be a good thing.

Todd
From the County Journal............ and.............................................-...........Sparta Journal Thursday, July 16th, 2015

www.countyjournal.com ................................................................

volume 36 Number 29 Thursday July 16, 2015 ........... and .......... Volume 5 Number 29 Sparta, The Trapshooting Capital Of The World

Headline:

Governor tells IDNR chief not to meet with local reps

Matters dealing with the World Shooting and Recreational Complex were discussed at Monday night's Sparta City Council meeting.

Commissioner Gary Stephens said he was very disappointed after a meeting he and Mayor Jason Schlimme had with Representative Jerry Costello and the county commissioners bout the shooting complex.

Governor Bruce Rauner has threatened to close it in September as part of his budget battle with Democrats in Springfield.

Stephens said the local group wanted to meet with IDNR director Wayne Rosenthal to discuss keeping the shooting complex operation and getting it to prosper.

"I received a letter from Representative Costello about this," said Stephens.

He said the letter stated that Rosenthal was advised by the governor's office not to meet with the Randolph County group. Stephens said he did not understand what good it would do the governor to not allow Rosenthal to meet with local people.

The IDNR website quotes Rosenthal as stating the he want to improve customer service and communication with IDNR constituents and promote state parks to attract more visitors.

Sheryl Blum, representing the chamber of commerce, noted the SCTP Nationals brought in about 5,000 people. The AIM shoot and the Grand all start the beginning of August.

She asked if the city and the chamber could work together to put up welcome signs for the big shoots.

In one other shooting complex matter, the council approved an amendment to the intergovernmental agreement dated September 2004 between the city and Randolph County about paying on some bonds for water and sewer lines to the complex.

The agreement called for the county to pay $100,000 a year for 10 years toward the bond payments, but the county has been paying only $50,000 a year.

The amendment calls for the county to continue paying $50,000 a year, but the payment will now run until the end of the note. That means the county will pay an additional $200,000 over the life of the bonds or a total of $1.2 million.

In 2017, the one-quarter cent sales tax collected at the complex that goes to the county was to go to the city. However, that money will continue to go to the county, under the new agreement.

There was other action Monday night...

========================================================

Also in the County Journal.

Headline:

Bost says private firm interested in complex

A shadow remains over the World Shooting and Recreational Complex-with the Grand American less than three weeks away.

In a continuing budget battle with Democrats, Governor Bruce Rauner says he will close the complex in September.

The site has come under fire for losing money each year. Critics, however, don't take into account the economic activity in local towns related to the complex.

Republican U.S. Congressman Mike Bost of Murphysboro says he is watching the situation.

This week, Bost's spokesman Jim Forbes said Bost is monitoring the shooting complex situation, even though it is a state, not federal, issue.

"It is (Bost's) understanding that a private company is looking at the shooting complex." said Forbes. "The company is said to be very interested."

The Illinois Department of Natural Resources, which manages the complex, has put our requests for proposals to better utilize or operate the complex, but very little information on what the state might have received has been made public.

==============================================================

Shoot well.

John

·
Banned
818 Posts
Stephens said the local group wanted to meet with IDNR director Wayne Rosenthal to discuss keeping the shooting complex operation and getting it to prosper.

"I received a letter from Representative Costello about this," said Stephens.

He said the letter stated that Rosenthal was advised by the governor's office not to meet with the Randolph County group. Stephens said he did not understand what good it would do the governor to not allow Rosenthal to meet with local people.

The IDNR website quotes Rosenthal as stating the he want to improve customer service and communication with IDNR constituents and promote state parks to attract more visitors.

Sheryl Blum, representing the chamber of commerce, noted the SCTP Nationals brought in about 5,000 people. The AIM shoot and the Grand all start the beginning of August.

She asked if the city and the chamber could work together to put up welcome signs for the big shoots.

I do not think that the facility is the problem, the lacking of infrastucture is and has been since it opened ... They want to get it to prosper which is what they have been trying to do for the past 10 years, so what's new about that ..? How do they propose to attract more visitors when they have to drive country miles to see and take in the facility and what would be the newest, latest, greatest attractions ..? The "WELCOME SIGNS" would of been a nice gesture and would of had more impact if they had been there from DAY ONE ... I recall seeing them back in Vandalia, thought it was a great idea from the very first time I saw them ... Personally, I hope the State manages to keep the WSRC operational so they continue to take the ecnomic hit rather close it and let it waste away to nothing as the State has done on many other occasions ... That way they can honor the agreement with the ATA and all those who attend will be happy ... Raise the prices, make it $10.00/$15.00 rather than $3.00 per event, thats cheap rent for a multi million dollar facility of that caliber (so, I have been told)... Then all of the real ATA shooters will be the only ones who attend, lots less wear and tear on the place so maintainance will be less also ... Save a buck here and a buck there and you'd be amazed at what you can do ... Make the shooters keep score, load the targets, and help with the weeds as they stand around doing nothing while waiting their turn ... Oh, It can be done, you just have to use your imagination and want it bad enough otherwise say Good Night Alice and move on ... They could have a BOD day where all of the BOD comes out and scores, load houses, and pull weeds ... Then an EC day so the EC can show everyone how much they support the members as they score, load, and pull weeds also ... Then how about a combo day where the EC and BOD do their part by scoring, loading, and pulling weeds ... There alone you got 3 days already covered and thats with very little thought given to how to make it work ... Sponsor Sparta Days and have local residents come out and score, load, and pull weeds ... There is another day I came up with while typing for (4) , hell there is no end to how to do it, just a lack of desire and imagination from what I can see ... In the mean time Pray and hope the Hell none of them read this or there will be a bunch of PO'ed people out there ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Then there is always the possibilty of outsourcing the maintainance of the facility and get rid of the State Employees who probably make more money and have benefits that all add up ... Locals could probably use the additional income to provide for their familys and bring some personal pride into the facility and the town for that matter ... Nope, you people just are not thinking ... So you PO a few State workers, who cares, they are all over paid any way and they have other places to send them if they don't want to get rid of them ... They could cut the cost in half by getting the locals involved ... Get your thinking caps on folks... I am going to forward this as a suggestion to the State of Illinois as an outsider looking in and see what they think ... They can hire all Republicans and leave the democrates sit at home, this will get the Republicans out to vote also if it means their jobs are on the line ... Enticements, opportunity await all of those who want to work and are ready to show it ... "No need to Thank me" ..

·
Registered
14,903 Posts
WPT, good luck with getting the shooters to keep score, load targets and pull weeds. You can bet your ass that aintagonna happen. Especially not with raising the shooter fees 10/15 0ppars instead of 3. You gotta be dreaming. Oh well, dream big if ya are gonna dream.

GneJ

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wpt is not an Illinois tax payers, he is a Illinois pensioner .... He has cost the Illinois tax payer more than he has ever given to the state

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Terry, in case you don't know, must of us think you're a condescending punk. You don't know squat about Sparta...or trapshooting for that matter. So stick to pistol websites, and spare us your opinion, which is only valuable in your own little world of "smarter-than-the rest-of-you."

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Use proper English, smart boy. Too many grammatical mistakes for such a genius as you. My ego is not inflated...but you, clearly, think you're God's gift to this website. But you're a phony. And many of us know it. Winning a pistol championship in 1985 doesn't qualify you to make the meekest of comments regarding registered trapshooting issues.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Lit, you might try an ignore in 221. I put an ignore on him and a few others a while back. Really improves the site. If everybody ignores him he will be gone before you could say JS.

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Lit, you might try an ignore in 221. I put an ignore on him and a few others a while back. Really improves the site. If everybody ignores him he will be gone before you could say JS.
I forget about that feature. Thanks Jim

1 - 20 of 67 Posts