Trapshooters Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
All the published loads are safe or they never would be published. Backing them off just to be on the safe side is pure BS. Do as you wish but deviating from a published load makes no sense to me. The Winchester Handicap factory loads kick more because they are going at a higher velocity than most.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Dished crimps with the STS hull means I would be better off using a TGT 12 1oz wad with 1 1/8 loads?

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
I’m using the old AA hulls with SH.
20.5 grains
Win. 209 primer
1 1/8 mag 71/2 shot

The magic wad for me in this load is the CB 8118 wad!

Crimp is perfect!
Great load.
Just jot to hold on !!!

·
Premium Member
5,904 Posts
Nope AA HS hull WAA12 white Wad 1 1/8 oz shot WSH powder
Then apply only enough pressure to seat the wad on the powder, and no more.

The way I do it is to run the wad ram up, insert a wad into the hull by hand and use something to push it down on top of the powder, then when it's under the wad ram, run the ram down so it just touches the bottom of the shot cup. Then lock the wad ram in place.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Appreciate everyone’s help. I believe I was able to get some good looking crimps. I do have some Titewad powder as well. I have been reading that it is a dense powder as well. Would I be wise to use the same TGT12 wad while using the Titewad powder for better crimps?
Here’s three of the 50 I was able to load up. Many with god looking crimps and a few here and there with an ever so slight swirl

·
Premium Member
5,904 Posts
The "swirl" is caused by hull length variation, not stack height, and is not a cause for concern. You're crimps look just fine (although the depth might be a bit deep).

On Titewad vs. WSH and stack height, WSH is significantly denser than Titewad. You should get a somewhat taller stack height with Titewad than you would get with WSH. With 9/8 oz. of shot, I would use a 9/8 oz. wad in the Rem hull, instead of the TGT you are using with the WSH.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Nebs
Assuming that u would do this Wad rammer adjustment by feel as I'm thinking very hard to observe rammer tube contact with bottom of shot cup?
Also I have 9000 H so I really don't have the control of action needed to execute this maneuver. I will have to do trial and error.
Thanks

·
Registered
22,745 Posts
Nebs
Assuming that u would do this Wad rammer adjustment by feel as I'm thinking very hard to observe rammer tube contact with bottom of shot cup?
Also I have 9000 H so I really don't have the control of action needed to execute this maneuver. I will have to do trial and error.
Thanks
Doesn’t the “H” have the ability to hold place at the bottom of a stroke?
Poke the wad down with your pinky finger. Raise the wad ram/shot drop tube up a couple of lines and snug the clamp. On a weighed powder charge. No powder or shot in the bottles. Move the hull to the wad/shot station, run the cycle to the bottom and hold there, loosen the clamp and gently run the tube down until it contacts the wad. Tighten the clamp. Let the loader cycle to the top. Done. Set up with powder, shot, and primers. Start loading.

Easy peasy.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Flash
That "H" will not afford a hold and adjust process .... I'm told you won't hurt the hydraulic unit but she squeals like a pig when you hold it down!!! You better be able to move fast and have nerves of steel !

·
Premium Member
5,904 Posts
Nebs
Thanks
Yes, you screw it down until it won't go any further. That's your signal the bottom of the ram has reached the bottom of the shot cup. I don't use a MEC so I can't help you with that aspect of it. If you have a wad pressure indicator, it if just wiggles a bit on the wad insertion, you are good to go.

·
Premium Member
5,904 Posts
Flash
That "H" will not afford a hold and adjust process .... I'm told you won't hurt the hydraulic unit but she squeals like a pig when you hold it down!!! You better be able to move fast and have nerves of steel !
Why did I just channel a certain scene from "Deliverance?"

·
Registered
22,745 Posts
Why did I just channel a certain scene from "Deliverance?"
Perhaps this “ she squeals like a pig when you hold it down!!!”

Reactions: Nebs
21 - 36 of 36 Posts