Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I’m still very green to reloading but was able to get my hands on some Winchester Super Handicap. I’m a 27 yard shooter and look forward to utilizing a good published recipe. Below you will see what I pulled from Hodgons site. The number that worries me is the PSI. Should I even be considering putting this load together?

Hull: Nitro/STS
Powder: Winchester Super Handicap
Cheddite primers
WAA wad

·
Registered
32,614 Posts
I would suspect this reload is very near what factory AA SHC loads are.

Reactions: henrydog

·
Premium Member
6,031 Posts
What's the issue? It's within SAAMI spex. If you are concerned variation in reloading may lead to some shells that produce pressure in excess of the SAAMI MAP, be aware that the "A" in "MAP" is for "average. Thus, the MAP will be figured using a set of data that included data points in excess of the average. I would not worry about it. If you're not satisfied with this explanation, reduce the powder charge by a half-grain to give yourself some buffer.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
I have used WSH powder for many years. Load 5 shells at your 20.8 number, shoot them and you will immediately reduce by at least half grain. Great powder, I shoot from 27yrds and load 20.2gns Winchester hull, cheddite, WAA 12 wad.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I use it for 'caps to. I think you will find what DFR said above is spot on. I'm shooting about 19.6 with a Down Range DRXL118 blue and it is PLENTY from ANY distance. I SUSPECT it is around 1200fps.
What I really like is the small volume. It helps in stack height in AA and STS hulls (more so in STS)
As the man said--load five and try them. If you have doubts after that go the a sporting range and shoot some 40 and 50 yard crossers! You will pleasantly surprised.
GOOD STUFF!!!
My Best
Jim

·
Registered
10,463 Posts
Great powder. As was said before, the "A" in MAP means Maximum AVERAGE pressure. If the factory loads a hot lot at MPLM (Maximum Probable Lot Mean) at 12,100 psi, THEY SHIP IT. If there are a few hotshot rounds in that hot lot at MPSM (Maximum Probable Sample Mean), this number is 13,000 psi. guess what? THEY SHIP IT!

Use the maker's data and you will be fine. I LOVE the 1250 1 1/8 oz for Sporting and Caps, and the 1300 boomer will destroy a target in the next time zone.

·
Registered
884 Posts
that is the super handicap load as to the pressure it just means that it will burn clean they sell that same load all over the country with no ill effects and you don't need 1255 fps to kill any target from the 27 1200 will do anything you are capable of doing

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
I've loaded WSH for about 5 years now and I don't think I will ever change Handicap powders as long as it's available. 20.5 grains in a Grey AA hull, a 4118 CB wad wrapped around a full load of Remington 71/2 shot and lit with a Winchester primer will break a target from just about any long distance yardage including wolf chase shots! Winchester calls for 20.9 to get max performance out of this powder. I'm close to that but my old Spolar bushing drops 20.5 pretty much on the nose and that is plenty for me....................YMMV

·
Registered
463 Posts
Anyone experience a stack height problem with the load recipe on the bottle? My crimp is abit concave? I measure powder drop so good there. I am thinking Wad seating pressure might be culprit? Need to back off abit!....any similar experience with this load?

·
Registered
23,441 Posts
Anyone experience a stack height problem with the load recipe on the bottle? My crimp is abit concave? I measure powder drop so good there. I am thinking Wad seating pressure might be culprit? Need to back off abit!....any similar experience with this load?
Or use a one ounce wad for ounce and an eighth loads. The powder is QUITE dense.

Reactions: chipped99

·
Premium Member
1,812 Posts
Set your pre-crimp deep enough that the shell is nearly closed. Should take care of it.

·
Registered
32,614 Posts
Having torn apart some Winchester Super Handicaps, both HS and the original CF, I found the 1-1/8 oz wad’s legs bent and more than 492 grains of shot. Winchester uses hard shot, so they can put more pellets in the hull to keep the shells legal (max of 507 grains). While you are attempting to duplicate the WSHCP shell, you can’t because you do not have the exact components to make an original shell. You can fudge a little on your shot charge, 9/8’s plus 3 percent (507 grains) or use the 1 oz wad as suggested by flashmax, or use some kind of filler such as over shot cards.

Another thing is you don’t need wad pressure. Take a shell with powder, insert the wad by hand and seat it on the powder. Don’t push the wad down with any force. Lift your wad seating tube or ram up as high as it goes. Place the shell and hand set wad in your press and lower it. Then gently lower the wad seating ram until it comes in contract with the wad, then tighten the ram tube setting.

·
Registered
23,441 Posts
Lol your killing me.
Impossible. You’re totally missing the point. You can’t make a nice, tight, flat crimp on a hull with too little component stack height.

Laugh that off.

Reactions: Nebs

·
Premium Member
1,812 Posts
Impossible. You’re totally missing the point. You can’t make a nice, tight, flat crimp on a hull with too little component stack height.

Laugh that off.
Oh I am laughing. Good bait today. Doesn't take much anymore, and FISH ON!!!!!
I totally get your point though, it's much easier mentioning the obvious, instead of teaching a person ways to manipulate a situation for a possible positive outcome. IM A TRACH A GUY TO FISH TYPE OF GUY.

·
Registered
23,441 Posts
Oh I am laughing. Good bait today. Doesn't take much anymore, and FISH ON!!!!!
I totally get your point though, it's much easier mentioning the obvious, instead of teaching a person ways to manipulate a situation for a possible positive outcome. IM A TRACH A GUY TO FISH TYPE OF GUY.
You sound drunk. See my day drinking thread. Fish my ass.

·
Premium Member
6,031 Posts
What hull and wad are you using. I've been loading WSH in the AAHS with a Blue Duster all spring and have not had any crimp dishing. If you are using any wad pressure at all, you are using too much. Or are you using a Rem hull?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts