Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought WSF to load my 20 gauge until I found 20/28. I thought I would try WSF in 12 gauge loads as per their webpage guide. I loaded the 1310 FPS for sporting clays but recoil was more than I tolerated. I bought 209A primers, as some the Win209 left terrible fouling. I used the exact recipe in the guide for a 1200 fps load. 23g WSF, AA hull, Fed 209 A primer and the Winchester wad with 1 1/8 shot. I tried this load today and it threw a good pattern but the fouling was horrible. Showed it to others shooting and they had no idea. I just would like to know if anyone using this powder has had this issue. Thanks

Rich K- chemist

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
It is a great powder for 1 1/4oz pheasant loads, 26-27 grains with some #5 or # 6 just smokes a rooster. 1200 to 1250 f.p.s. My understanding is 1 1/4 oz to 1 3/8 oz it is very good for that. For 1 1/8 oz loads WST or Super Handicap may serve you better. Scott

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Scott but those powders, as well as my usual CLAYS and others are not available locally. I was just trying to see if anyone had the same excessive fouling that I noticed. I used two RIOs and it cleaned it out pretty well. When I used the old REDDOT or GREENDOT, I had fouling but not to this extent- I'll use it for SC until its gone or make my plants happy. Thanks again for you reply.

Rich

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
For years the lowest data for 1-1/8 loads was 1310 fps. It has only been recently that Hodgdon has WSF recipes for AA hulls as low as 1200. I too have tried loading some with 24 grains at 1255 @ 1-1/8 ounce. To much unburnt powder for my liking.

WSF is now my .45 acp powder, and it is excellent under a 230 grain FMJ. Someone that hand-loads for pistols will buy it from you.

Wayne

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Wayne. That was the info I was looking for. I'll put it for sale at my club in NJ as it can be used for 20 gauge. It is just so fine it migrates out of the MEC even though I use the baffle, brass washer and rubber O ring.

Rich K

·
Banned
8,492 Posts
Could be your wad is not seating snug on top or the powder. Don't need to be pressure but don't want the slightest air gap either. Bill

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
WSF is a good powder, but needs to be loaded to a moderately high pressure to burn clean. It is a great powder for Handgun loads in 45 Auto and 9mm, to mention a few. It is not the cleanest choice to be loaded in lighter shotshell loads. It is at it's best in heavier common field loads and not light target loads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts