Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just came back from the gym today. My trainer told me-one of his clients-a 78 year old woman , is getting a ccw- the gun is a 380 Sig- the range where she bought the gun is also the ccw certification facility-I can't believe she can really rack the slide-they should have sold her a wheel gun-does anyone agree

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
You are assuming that the gun doesn't have a bullet in the chamber at all times.

I do know what you are saying though, I have a .40 px4 Storm that I can barely pull the slide back on.

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saying , if you get a map-fuction-she can't clear a rd. also for a cow-you better have a rd chambered

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
A .380 recoil spring should be fairly soft, However gripping the slide might be difficult at that age,

There are many ways to "rack a slide " that do not involve actually gripping the slide however,

Maybe a snub .38 revolver would be better?? Its different for each user..

DGH

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
Pulling the trigger on a double action revolver isn't always easy, either.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Agree 100 %. I have a Glock .380 and it's difficult for me to rack. Mod 42 I think. I still have my trusty Detective Special .38 Spl.
(I be 71 in August.)
Shoot often and safely!
///olde pharte///

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Sounds to me like that club wanted to sell her a high dollar gun without regard for her ability in using it! I've looked at a lot of semi-autos and haven't found one that will work for most ladies. A small S&W wheel gun is the ticket or some other make.

HAP

·
Supporting Vendor
5,836 Posts
Pistols are for the seasoned shooter. Everyone else is better off with a wheel gun.

Reactions: bossbasl

·
Premium Member
12,482 Posts
Just came back from the gym today. My trainer told me-one of his clients-a 78 year old woman , is getting a ccw- the gun is a 380 Sig- the range where she bought the gun is also the ccw certification facility-I can't believe she can really rack the slide-they should have sold her a wheel gun-does anyone agree

Phil Berkowitz
Are you making an observation without all the facts?

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Consider A 32 mag revolver, more punch than a 380 and easier to control than 38.

Give it to them Big Baby....................

Surfer

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a lot of women who come into our store, and being able to rack the slide is a MAJOR issue with a lot of them. I will not sell them a gun until I am sure that they can do it.
There are a couple of guns that stand out for being easy to operate - the Walther CCP being one of them. If they can't do that one, I recommend a revolver.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts