Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never done a lot of patterning to compare pattern density, etc. I do pattern at 13 yards for POI. A year ago, I picked up a really nice MX2000 TS with a .032 fixed choke. Got the POI where I like it and have shot it well. With the full choke, it does hit hard at 16.

Having managed to lose a few pounds, I took it out this morning to re-check my POI at 13 yards. Grabbed a couple of partial boxes of shells to shoot. One box was plain old Kmart Federals 1-1/8 8s at 1200 and the other was Gun Clubs 1-1/8 8s but at 1145.

I shot a few Gun Clubs and they made about 2 inch hot core holes in the card board. Just what I expected from past experience. I then switched to the Federals for a few shots and no more hot core holes, just patterns. I got out my competition AAs in 1-1/8 8s @ 1145 and they shot just like the Gun Clubs with a hot core hole.

Obviously, the Federals are producing a less dense pattern at breaking distance. I have never encountered such a dramatic difference and at only 13 yards. Make of it what you will. Pics below, the small hole are wad holes. Gun Club on top.

Wood Wall Beige Concrete Soil

Wood Floor Road surface Flooring Gas

1 - 3 of 3 Posts