Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never done a lot of patterning to compare pattern density, etc. I do pattern at 13 yards for POI. A year ago, I picked up a really nice MX2000 TS with a .032 fixed choke. Got the POI where I like it and have shot it well. With the full choke, it does hit hard at 16.

Having managed to lose a few pounds, I took it out this morning to re-check my POI at 13 yards. Grabbed a couple of partial boxes of shells to shoot. One box was plain old Kmart Federals 1-1/8 8s at 1200 and the other was Gun Clubs 1-1/8 8s but at 1145.

I shot a few Gun Clubs and they made about 2 inch hot core holes in the card board. Just what I expected from past experience. I then switched to the Federals for a few shots and no more hot core holes, just patterns. I got out my competition AAs in 1-1/8 8s @ 1145 and they shot just like the Gun Clubs with a hot core hole.

Obviously, the Federals are producing a less dense pattern at breaking distance. I have never encountered such a dramatic difference and at only 13 yards. Make of it what you will. Pics below, the small hole are wad holes. Gun Club on top.

Wood Wall Beige Concrete Soil

Wood Floor Road surface Flooring Gas

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Interesting.....my experience with Gun Clubs have always been that they do not break targets as hard as other promo shells (Tops Guns, Estates, Aquila, Wall Mart Federals) and always seemed to kick more than the others. Maybe they are using better components than a few years ago.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
For some it might be considered Full, but not by me! Full means 35 thou of constriction, but the pattern board is where you really find out. I have 2 barrels with 32 thou and 1 with 36 thou, it’s not hard to see the difference on paper or on 27yd targets.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I am surprised to see the "hot core" holes from the Gun Clubs at the bottom of the pattern rather than closer to the center. It would be interesting to see a few patterns at 40 yards with each shell. From these 13 yard targets it looks like the Federals might produce a more even pellet distribution, but at a lower pellet count in the 30" circle. -Ed

·
Registered
681 Posts
Shotguns are like rifles, they will shoot differently with different brands of ammo.
Shotguns are like rifles, they will shoot differently with different brands of ammo.
Mickey…slight correction … there is nearly zero variability between shot gun barrels if they have the same constriction. I have no rifle experience. Dr. AC Jones book is the best resource available. Also search Neal Winston on this site. Interesting and data driven info🙂

1 - 12 of 12 Posts