Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know, both myself (Foster) and dad have a huge passion for waterfowl hunting. We made the switch to the new SX Life-Size Series (Fully Flocked) and Lesser Canada Goose Decoys, and the results have spoke for themselves since we switched to these decoys!
To be honest, over the last 18 years, we have tried nearly every brand of decoys on the market, but never have we seen geese respond the way they do by using the new SX decoys.

Ill attach some photos of our hunts, both the Painted and Fully Flocked decoys have great contrast, awesome detail, and life-like poses as you'll notice in the pictures and videos!

Scott, the owner of SX decoys is a great guy and loves the shooting sports/trapshooting community. He said if anyone is looking for decoys, let him know that you're a trap shooter, mention that you saw my post, and he will extend a deal on his decoys in appreciation for the great work the trapshooting community has done to promote youth in the outdoors.

Check them out at: www.SXDECOYS.com

Hope everyone's hunting season has been great, and best of luck in the field!

-Foster Bartholow

Bird Flock Bird migration Animal migration Water bird
Vertebrate Bird Water bird Goose Wildlife
Bird Canada goose Water bird Wildlife Beak
Bird Vertebrate Canada goose Beak Water bird
Bird Vertebrate Beak Wildlife Skua
Bird migration Bird Flock Animal migration Water bird
Bird Vertebrate Water bird Beak Wildlife
Bird Vertebrate Flock Bird migration Animal migration
Flock Bird migration Bird Animal migration Atmospheric phenomenon
Bird Vertebrate Canada goose Duck Water bird

·
Ya can't miss with a shotgun
2,983 Posts
Very nice! I've hunted a lot of geese along the Illinois River, and nearby fields. Will Snow Geese decoy to the SX? If the Snows decoy, you've got something. In my experience they're the hardest to fool.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Great pics, good looking dog. We also use all fully flocked duck decoys, I think they look great and help. Avian make a great full flocked black duck decoy.

Haven’t heard of SX decoys, looks like I’m going googling

·
Registered
9,098 Posts
Nice pictures, looks like the decoys work really well.
Bad weather always helped many moons ago when I hunted geese.
Looks like you were having that too, keep the pressure on and enjoy.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very nice! I've hunted a lot of geese along the Illinois River, and nearby fields. Will Snow Geese decoy to the SX? If the Snows decoy, you've got something. In my experience they're the hardest to fool.

Thanks for the comment Jaburg1!
Short answer, yes! If you have the opportunity, check online at the variety of Snow & Blue Goose Decoys he has, they are spot on as well!

I've known Scott for many years and helped him produce/edit his TV show, Waterfowl Obsession TV when it first took off.
At that time Scott had created BirdVision Decoy Paint (on his SX snow & blue goose decoys), which mimic very close to a snow gooses colorations in the UV spectrum (which a snow goose sees) vs regular paint that doesn't reflect in the UV spectrum.

As you know, snow geese are very "finicky". There are days that everything works great, and some days not.
Like any hunting, you want to give yourself the best opportunity to be successful using the right tools. I personally believe these are one of those tools you can invest in that will make you more successful day in and day out.

Thank you!
Foster

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So what’s a goose taste like? I’ve never tried it...
Thanks for the question WadHopper!

Through the years, my dad and I have found some great recipes for making goose meals. We have made some great recipes with garlic/Worcestershire/veggie roasts, Goose patte, Honey BBQ Goose chislic, Goose confit, etc.

Right now I have big into making my own goose snack sticks and goose summer sausage.
If anyone tells you goose is horrible, un-friend them and come up and try some of these goose sticks! LOL

Thank you!
Foster

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Whole goose smoked , breast sliced for jerky, breast ground use jerky press to make chew sticks, breast halved marinade to taste like corned beef, and the traditional roasted in the old blue porcelain roaster stuffed with dried bread and apple slices cover entire goose with bacon don't let it dry out

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good friends of mine do a pastrami recipe with the geese breast. Turns out amazing sliced like lunch meat.
WOW, that sounds fantastic !!! My turn to head over to google.

Years ago I saw an article in a magazine about doing venison bacon. I reached out to the company they spoke about, PS Seasoning located in Iron Ridge WI, and ordered their packets to make the bacon. What a great find that has been.

Bud

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Here are a few recipes that we like. Note that all of these work for ducks or geese.
Here is one of my favorites
Text Font Document Line Paper

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
This last recipe came from my son, Casey. It’s basically a duck recipe but I know it would be great for a small goose (eg. Cackler or Ross goose) - or if you had a really big Dutch oven a speckled belly or snow.

Text Font Line Number

1 - 17 of 17 Posts