Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
7,106 Posts
Useless. You assumed constant velocity over distance and did not account for trans-sonic effects. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: GrandpasArms

· Registered
36,825 Posts
I think it affirms the fact the target cannot outrun the shot charge, even with the slowest under 1000 FPS at the muzzle.

Reactions: RLW48

· Registered
460 Posts
I think I made this spreadsheet several years ago. If I didn't, I stole it from somebody.
Regardless, it helps me know that the differences between different trap loads aren't as important to me as I thought.
Is this chart taking into effect that the shot is slowing as soon as it leaves the muzzle? The velocity of a shotshell is not linear from muzzle to target.

· Premium Member
Connecticut g1, 12 gauge, 30 inch
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Is this chart taking into effect that the shot is slowing as soon as it leaves the muzzle? The velocity of a shotshell is not linear from muzzle to target.
No.

It describes something to me - while there are certainly numerical differences between a shell that delivers 980 fps at the muzzle and one that sends the shot at 1200 fps, the differences aren't something I can correct for. Maybe the best shooters know how to respond to minuscule differences, I can't. I showed myself that I should be able to do just fine using slower (less painful) shells.

· Registered
460 Posts
No.

It describes something to me - while there are certainly numerical differences between a shell that delivers 980 fps at the muzzle and one that sends the shot at 1200 fps, the differences aren't something I can correct for. Maybe the best shooters know how to respond to minuscule differences, I can't. I showed myself that I should be able to do just fine using slower (less painful) shells.
You're right, in that a slow shell will break a target. That's your choice to shoot however slow a shell you choose. Also know that from the tests that I have seen, a shotshell will loose roughly half of it's muzzle velocity in 50 yards. No matter how fast it started or the shot size. Therefore the data in your sheet is incorrect. This test is on everyone's favorite shotgunner's website, Randy Wakeman. Although the test was done by Ed Lowry.

· Registered
917 Posts
No. From a learning to shoot trap standpoint and all that goes into that, what happens from the time the gun goes bang and the target breaks or doesn't break is of little use to me at this point. Maybe if I was running 98-99 straight on every outing I might put some thought into this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.