Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Daughters are interested in Star gazing ( at least for now) any telescopes for sale? Thank You in advance. Jim Z.

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
I have one for sale if your interested, it's to large for the area we have it in let me find out some kind of value and the name of it and I'll send you a pvt message with in a day or so.

·
Registered
433 Posts
First, buy a good beginners astronomy guide book. Then use the binoculars that your already have. A star guide that is settable for your latitude and time of the year/day will be absolutely necessary. When you are finally ready to buy a telescope, keep in mind that you will only be able to really enlarge the objects in our local solar systrem with an optical telescope, spend the extra dollars on an adjustable and very stable tripod. If the tripod is an elcheapo for photography, it will not do. If at all possible, visit a planatarium or observatory. Most college observatories are open at certain times for the public. The more you know the better off you'll be and the less money you'll waste.

bustclays

ps: It's cheaper to get her interested in golf or trap shooting. But, if you can't change her, image and stability is everything. She might even enjoy rigging a spotting scope up to a digital camera and taking moon shots.

Along those lines, I spent about $300 on a panasonic digital camera that has 18x optical and over 120x digital and it takes great moon shots. If she lost interest in astronomy, she's always have a great camera. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Jim and shot410ga, a 4", short focal length APO refractor is the overall best compromise. If you buy a decent one you'll use it for life.

Check out Company Seven in MD. They carry a huge line of telescopes and are quite literally experts on the subject. For example, an Orior 4" f9 APO on the SkyPro German equatorial mount and dual axis drive gives you a complete kit for about $1300. It's a good setup, easy to use, and enjoyable. Get one or two low powered Nagler eyepieces and your ready to wow everybody.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.