Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have loaded mostly pistol and long range rifle loads for over 30 years. I know quite a bit about that but shotgun seems very different and more complex. You have more variables and it seems the manufactures keep changing hulls, wads, powders but the recipes are not either kept up to date or the parts are no longer available.

With that in mind I would appreciate if the following concerns could be addressed.
1.) I know to follow the recipe but if a individual wanted less velocity( less recoil) how much lower can the powder charge be altered before it gets destructive???? 2 gr????? or .5 grains???

2.) can someone post a website that has the current available wads. I follow the hodgdon load website but I feel some of the wads are no longer available???? Obviously no fun to start collecting components and then not have some of the main parts not available.

3) how is hs-6 powder for 1 1/4 oz loads????

4.) helpful loads for my benelli my M2 using 2 3/4"Federal GM with1 1/8oz and 1 1/4oz #5 lead shot are always appreciated. More detailed the better.

THANKS IN ADVANCE
MARTIN

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
I have loaded mostly pistol and long range rifle loads for over 30 years. I know quite a bit about that but shotgun seems very different and more complex. You have more variables and it seems the manufactures keep changing hulls, wads, powders but the recipes are not either kept up to date or the parts are no longer available.

With that in mind I would appreciate if the following concerns could be addressed.
1.) I know to follow the recipe but if a individual wanted less velocity( less recoil) how much lower can the powder charge be altered before it gets destructive???? 2 gr????? or .5 grains???

2.) can someone post a website that has the current available wads. I follow the hodgdon load website but I feel some of the wads are no longer available???? Obviously no fun to start collecting components and then not have some of the main parts not available.

4.) helpful loads for my benelli my M2 using 2 3/4"Federal GM with1 1/8oz and 1 1/4oz #5 lead shot are always appreciated. More detailed the better.

THANKS IN ADVANCE
MARTIN
Martin,
Try Alliant and Hodgdons reloading sites a shot. 10,000's of recipies.
I'm sure you will find more than you've ever imagined.
Best of Luck,
MG

·
Registered
492 Posts
Ran longshot with nickel shot rem wads patterned the best out of my gun. The win4114 wads did well too. Ran the load about 1350fps fairly open chokes since we were over pointers. When I was blocking used a super black eagle with a full choke.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Once you settle on a specific load come back and ask a more specific question. You have a good choice in the Fed GM hull. Now pick a powder you want to try. There are too many loads to stumble through. You will end up with a similar problem with hunting loads as you get with trap loads. It's all about stack height and fit in a specific hull. Not all loads that are shown as safe will produce a good product. You may need to mix and match components to get a good result. Federal hulls and Rem/Win wads are specifically what I am referring to. The previous thread mentioned has a couple of go to loads that will fit and work well.

Here is what I use and why I use it. WHY - I shoot a 6.0 lb o/u for upland birds. I need a lighter load with enough speed to kill wild pheasants. I tried many different 1 3/8 ounce loads and the recoil made the gun jump back and crunch my middle finger. 1 1/4 ounce at 1330 fps is a manageable load in the light o/u. No more sore bloody finger.
Federal GM hull
Win 209 primer
28.5 gr Win 572 powder
TGT12 OEM Rem wad
hard #6 shot (Real Nickel plated if I can find it)
I hunt over the two dogs shown.
Commentary on what it took to get settled on this load: The Fed GM hull is big and roomy. It will take a tall wad to get the right stack height for a 1 1/4 ounce load.
Data calls for several functional wads: waa12 wad, not good, too short on stack height. I tried CB aa12 clones. However a Blue Duster is a ok/good fit. TGT12 works best.
Win F114 wads in the OEM version and the DownRange version are both too short.
DownRange 12s3 wad is also a little too short.
I patterned all of the above before finally sticking with the TGT12 version. It took me quite a while to load and test all the different options. Spring is coming so you have five months of warm weather to see what works best for your needs. I worked up each load on a MEC 600 jr. When I settled on a final product I switched over the MEC 9000g.
Good luck

·
Registered
570 Posts
There wasnt a lot of good loads for 800x but heavy hunting loads in 12 ga worked for me. I loaded up to 1 3/8 oz of nr 4's or 5's. I used 6 shot too, but in 1 1/4oz for closer shooting.
800x, 572, longshot, herco powders work for hunting loads. I favor a little extra velocity if its safe to load. Use any powder and load that suits your fancy.

·
Registered
214 Posts
No need to get caught up with super speed loads for pheasants. They are not armor plated and not hard to kill. I have used a 1.25 oz load directly out of the Alliant website. Win AA Hull win 209 primer win WAA12F114 wad 23.5 grains of unique with 1.25 oz of hard or preferable nickel plated shot.

·
Registered
687 Posts
800X, Longshot and WSF for lead.. STEEL for, well, steel..

lot of good recipes on Hodgden site. Pick the payload and speed you want.. I tend to like to load in 2 speeds, use the faster for the second barrel
I like your statement based on my having purchased a flat of Herter's 3 1/4 X 1 1/4 1220 fps 5's several years back. I was leery about the lower velocity having enough punch, but as a first shot hunting pheasants, it has plenty of power. I follow that with 3 3/4 X 1 1/4 1330 fps 5's, with that combination proving to be very effective over the years.

·
Registered
131 Posts
No need to get caught up with super speed loads for pheasants. They are not armor plated and not hard to kill. I have used a 1.25 oz load directly out of the Alliant website. Win AA Hull win 209 primer win WAA12F114 wad 23.5 grains of unique with 1.25 oz of hard or preferable nickel plated shot.
+1...

Patterning results from a 12-gauge Browning Citori with 28" Invector-plus barrels using Briley flush chokes (patterns average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, and in-shell pellet count average of five).

12 GA 2 3/4" RELOAD (WAACF, W209, UNIQUE, CB1114-12)
1 1/4 oz #5 lead (210 pellets) @ 1220 fps
30 YARDS / SK / pattern 145 (69%)
30 YARDS / IC / pattern 177 (84%)
40 YARDS / M / pattern 155 (74%)
40 YARDS / IM / pattern 174 (83%)
50 YARDS / IM / pattern 125 (60%)

Good luck!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have also used a handicap AA or STS load of 7.5’s for pen raised pheasants. Kills them dead. Hard shot at a reasonable velocity works perfect.
+1 on 1.125-ounce loads too...

Patterning results from a 12-gauge Browning Citori with 28" Invector-plus barrels using Briley flush chokes (patterns average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, and in-shell pellet count average of five).

12 GA 2 3/4" RELOAD (RSTS, R209, GREEN DOT, CB1118-12)
1 1/8 oz #6 lead (267 pellets) @ 1225 fps
30 YARDS / SK / pattern 171 (64%)
30 YARDS / IC / pattern 211 (79%)
40 YARDS / M / pattern 182 (68%)
40 YARDS / IM / pattern 195 (73%)

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have also used a handicap AA or STS load of 7.5’s for pen raised pheasants. Kills them dead. Hard shot at a reasonable velocity works perfect.
I've done the same...even for wild birds. I've done well with just loading 6 shot in my handicap loads as well, very light recoil compared to 1.25 oz, pheasants are not wearing kevlar vests...

·
Premium Member
5,861 Posts
This was just discussed on another thread. mg1polo had a great recipe for a 1 1/4 oz. load using Longshot.

Look here: https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/favorite-powder-for-hunting-loads.875175/page-2

And, welcome to TS.com!
Now that's funny. The OP is asking how much he can safely reduce a powder charge in a recipe to reduce velocity/recoil (see highlighted) and you point him to mg1polo's rip snorten 1.125oz load and 1.25oz loadings.

THANKS IN ADVANCE
MARTIN
For me, I never could see the need for fire breathers. Most of what I've loaded in 12ga was using the live pigeon concept, 1220fps/1.25oz shot. I was brought up using Unique for this concept after AL5 was no longer available.

The above posters 23.5gr loading in a AA is a good one. For your GM hulls 24gr with an S4 Federal wad I was very fond of. With the appropriate wad, Unique works excellent in my opinion pushing 1.125 oz of shot at around 1250fps.

I've used several different powders through the decades for pheasant loads. Really liked 4756 but even though I have a life time supply for me, I doubt you can find any unless a remote shop in the middle of no where. I did like 800X in 12ga and using in a GM hull.

Never cared for 540/HS6.

·
Premium Member
5,733 Posts
Now that's funny. The OP is asking how much he can safely reduce a powder charge in a recipe to reduce velocity/recoil (see highlighted) and you point him to mg1polo's rip snorten 1.125oz load and 1.25oz loadings.
The OP asked several questions. His question #4 asked about 1 1/4 oz loads in a Fed hull, which is what mg1polo provided. So, what I find funny is that you seem unable to read the entire OP.

·
Premium Member
5,861 Posts
The OP asked several questions. His question #4 asked about 1 1/4 oz loads in a Fed hull, which is what mg1polo provided. So, what I find funny is that you seem unable to read the entire OP.
He never signified any change concerning velocity desires from #1 to #4. By the way his line of questions as a summation, the OP is wanting experience/opinions on reducing velocity of hunting load recipes in both 1.125 and 1.25 ounce loads in a GM hull. He's also concerned about what wads that might be listed in these recipes is/are still obtainable.

His final question presented (#3) is an opinion using HS6 for the above load concept.

·
Premium Member
5,733 Posts
He never signified any change concerning velocity desires from #1 to #4. By the way his line of questions as a summation, the OP is wanting experience/opinions on reducing velocity of hunting load recipes in both 1.125 and 1.25 ounce loads in a GM hull. He's also concerned about what wads that might be listed in these recipes is/are still obtainable.

His final question presented (#3) is an opinion using HS6 for the above load concept.
He never says his questions are cumulative. A correct reading would be each question is independent of the others.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I use the same load I shoot trap with
1 and 1/8 oz shot at no more than 1200 fps. But i use nickel plated 5 shot. Hunted wild pheasant in my youth when we had a lot of them
Back then it wasnt nickel plated. Very good success with it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts