Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reloading on MEC hydrolics for almost 50 years so know a little about them. I was looking for some lighter loads due to lack of powder. My go to load for years on AA CF hulls calls for a little over 17 gr. red dot (#31=17.0) Loaded some #30=16.5, #29=16.0, #28=15.3. All weighed at one time. Loaded some with all bushings with AA CF hulls with no problems. Used AA clone claybuster wads in all Win. hulls. Used claybuster fig 8 clones in all Remington hulls. Book powder close enough for all with 30,29, and 28 well below book. No safety problems. Loaded Win HS gray, Rem SST and NITRO hulls. ALL CF hulls fine with all bushings. HS (gray) Nitro and SST hulls have about 25% starting to pooch open indicating too high a stack and the wad rebounding With all bushing although stack LOOKS fine and all close fine. Anybody got any ideas?? All shoot gud even if pooched a little. Got a lot of "snake" loads with all bushings. Need to fix as have 1,000's of these hulls mostly once fired. Thanx in advance.

·
Premium Member
7,404 Posts
You answered your own question, the stack height is too tall. And the Red Dot in the HS is a recipe for an over-tall stack height. Are you using wad pressure and if so, how much? The cure for the HS is to use a wad with a shorter crush section. How much shot are you dropping? If 1 oz., try a 1 1/8 oz wad in the HS. Also, see what happens by using a Win clone in the Rem hulls.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You answered your own question, the stack height is too tall. And the Red Dot in the HS is a recipe for an over-tall stack height. Are you using wad pressure and if so, how much? The cure for the HS is to use a wad with a shorter crush section. How much shot are you dropping? If 1 oz., try a 1 1/8 oz wad in the HS. Also, see what happens by using a Win clone in the Rem hulls.
All problem loads were 11/8. going to try 1/1/16 on both win and rem hulls. will switch wads around also. Thanx

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
went down to 1 1/16 shot and cured problem.

·
Registered
844 Posts
If you want to use 1 1/8 oz. of shot- try the Claybuster AA replacement wads in the STS and Nitro hulls- I’ve used the exact load you are using with them and had no issues with stack height- I don’t know if this is necessary, but I use about 30 pounds of wad pressure too (I don’t remember needing the wad pressure, but I haven’t adjusted the press for anything else in a long time).

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you want to use 1 1/8 oz. of shot- try the Claybuster AA replacement wads in the STS and Nitro hulls- I’ve used the exact load you are using with them and had no issues with stack height- I don’t know if this is necessary, but I use about 30 pounds of wad pressure too (I don’t remember needing the wad pressure, but I haven’t adjusted the press for anything else in a long time).
1 1/8 tends to rebound open on some. 1 1/16 seems to work. no performance difference that i can see.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts