Trapshooters Forum banner

Worked up incredible handicap load

2105 Views 9 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Amiller86
I’m almost cheating with a 1150 9/8 load! I started off using the Hodgdon book’s load for 1145fps in Federal papers, fed209a, International, 12C1, and 1&1/8 and dang it was too hot. Then I remembered I’m stillllllll using that hotter than normal batch from 4 or 5 years ago or so I can’t remember. I don’t reload a lot of 9/8. This load I worked up is 17.8-18 gr International and with the STS 7.5 it is the best load I’ve ever shot. I’ll bring the chrono out Saturday to confirm but wow it’s not a slow load either. It was getting there quick in long prize shoot offs. And incredibly soft through my KX6. Finished off my opponent at about a post 6 and 30 yards out and saw a nasty hard right and crushed it I’d say 70 yards out. That bird beat me real good I thought I had lost it.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wussed out on the chrono today, pretty windy, lots of people in the way because of a league shoot, but I’ll try again tomorrow. Shot them from the 27 only missed two because I didn’t lead them two enough. Absolutely crushed the 23. I can’t believe how incredibly soft and hard hitting these are. I know I’m using STS 7.5 but the softness of the 12C1 wad and the speed seems like many 1200fps shells to me but I need to make sure. I run factory shells over my chrono first to see the difference.

· Premium Member
8,113 Posts
I wussed out on the chrono today, pretty windy, lots of people in the way because of a league shoot, but I’ll try again tomorrow. Shot them from the 27 only missed two because I didn’t lead them two enough. Absolutely crushed the 23. I can’t believe how incredibly soft and hard hitting these are. I know I’m using STS 7.5 but the softness of the 12C1 wad and the speed seems like many 1200fps shells to me but I need to make sure. I run factory shells over my chrono first to see the difference.
And this tells you what? Oh, you're thinking the speed printed on the box is the actual speed!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.