Trapshooters Forum banner

Wood glue for gun stock

6697 25
A friend dropped his Remington 742 on the heal of the metal butt plate and a sizeable chunk of the stock broke off through the pad screw. It broke along the grain to it goes back on nicely. Any suggestions on what kind of glue to reattach this with??

T/I/A
Bill J.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Premium Member
624 Posts
I would use either Titebond 3 woodworking glue or the Accuracies glass from Brownells mentioned above. The Titebond will do a fine job on a clean break along the grain. More important that the glue used is how well the piece is clamped. And if the piece tapers to a very thin point I would use the Accura glass. The water in the Titebond will make the piece move and hard to clamp where it is really small.

· Vendor
20,926 Posts
Cyanoacrylates are a family of strong fast-acting adhesives with industrial, medical, and household uses. They are derived from ethyl cyanoacrylate and related esters. The cyanoacrylate group in the monomer rapidly polymerize in the presence of water to form long, strong chains. They have some minor toxicity.

· Registered
2,762 Posts
Acraglas IMO, is very good stuff for wood repair. It bonds to wood very well, and if you slide the grain together and clamp tight, it dries stronger than the wood could ever be. With two part adhesives like that, the slower it sets and dries, the stronger it is. Wipe the excess off with acetone.

· Registered
796 Posts
Also, 2 part epoxy gets more and more brittle and weaker as time goes by.
Tron,
Not so the West System 2 part epoxy unless it is exposed unprotected to sunlight or excessive heat.
24 years ago I built an all wooden boat using the West System to join everything and to date nothing has comes loose or failed at any joint. And that is with the stress and loads of running white water rivers.

CT

· Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I ended up using Tite Bond 2 and the repair is 99% invisible, the only very slight visible part is the very end where the wood feathers off to nothing. I would have preferred cyanoacrylate but Amazon would still have me waiting.

Thanks for all the help!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.