Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, first post. I think I got shot into my MEC GRABBER and deformed the collet. Anyone try to fix them buy tweeking the bent finger out to run true with the other fingers or should I just cut my losses and buy a new one. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
21,606 Posts
Hey guys, first post. I think I got shot into my MEC GRABBER and deformed the collet. Anyone try to fix them buy tweeking the bent finger out to run true with the other fingers or should I just cut my losses and buy a new one. Thanks in advance.
Tweak it. Just don’t overdo the tweak.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
They can break off very easily. You may be able to straighten it out if you are careful. The fingers should have some spring in them, if not, it is soft. I have spread the fingers out on several but they would not stay that way. I had to replace them. Good luck! Regards, Bob

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
How old is the Grabber? It seems unlikely that a few pellets would tweak the collet in a fairly new machine, but in a machine with a very old collet, it might be the straw that breaks the camel's back. I had one that was probably original to my (old and well-used) machine that worked OK most of the time, but was a little cranky. Took it out to clean and lube and a broken finger fell out. I was surprised that it had worked so well.

By all means - try tweaking gently. If it's not working now, you may restore function, otherwise you're gonna buy a collet one way or the other. I'd be tempted to remove the collet altogether, clean it real well, inspect, lubricate and reinstall. The collets are pretty expensive - I found a new old-stock one on ebay for about $25, IIRC.

And yeah - to Nebs' point: you'll find you get more meaningful and helpful responses if you include some indication of the subject of your post in the title. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Try working a dental pick up and down through the slots in the collet to free any squashed shot.
Look to see if any one section has not rebounded like the others.
If you don’t knock out a piece of shot that section may be defective.
When a hull doesn’t want to descend into the collet it is likely broken and needs to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
I'm wondering if he's thinking he shoulda even joined ??? :1augen39:
The crowd here is tough, but not that tough. If someone asks a reasonable question, people will turn backf-lips trying to answer it. But when someone starts a thread, there should be some minimal standard or obligation to craft the title in such a way that it gives some reasonable notice of what the thread is about so people that know nothing about the subject matter won't waste their time looking at it. This thread is a prime example. People, like me, that don't use a MEC and don't know anything about them would have no way of knowing this thread is about a MEC problem. There is another thread nearby that suffers from similar shortcomings.

·
Supporting Vendor
5,734 Posts
The collet fingers are heat treated (hardened) steel and cannot be bent. If after removing the collet one of the fingers is out of alignment there is most likely a crack in the finger.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The crowd here is tough, but not that tough. If someone asks a reasonable question, people will turn backf-lips trying to answer it. But when someone starts a thread, there should be some minimal standard or obligation to craft the title in such a way that it gives some reasonable notice of what the thread is about so people that know nothing about the subject matter won't waste their time looking at it. This thread is a prime example. People, like me, that don't use a MEC and don't know anything about them would have no way of knowing this thread is about a MEC problem. There is another thread nearby that suffers from similar shortcomings.
Thanks guys. I got big shoulders, but you are correct. I should have been more specific. will take that advise moving forward.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Remove the collet, disassemble, assess, repair or replace. Even replacing the collet at MEC's online prices is better than buying a whole new machine. And you might be pleasantly surprised and the fix will be nothing more than getting a piece of shot out from inside of it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts