Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a Winchester Model 62A that I am thinking about parting with. It was given to me a few years back. ser# 9983. From what I've been able to find out, it was a 1940 production gun. I have tried to look up values on this rifle but they are so varied I am not sure what to ask? The serial numbers do match on the gun. I've learned that this is a big deal because they were easily interchangeable as far as barrels and receivers go. Gun is in very good condition. I will get some pictures of it today. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I sold one not to long ago that was a really nice 1954 model IIRC. Sold it for 550 and that took a while, the 61's bring all the money but the 62A's are not super hot unless you find the right guy

·
Registered
52 Posts
Don't mean to be contrary, but I've always thought that the exposed hammer models were more desirable than the others.
Todd M.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I sold a really nice 62A that I had from the 60's earlier this year and it brought
500.00 and I had it on 3 websites and it took a couple of months.

Mac

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I sold a really nice 62A that I had from the 60's earlier this year and it brought
500.00 and I had it on 3 websites and it took a couple of months.

Mac
That was exactly how my sale went

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Don't mean to be contrary, but I've always thought that the exposed hammer models were more desirable than the others.
Todd M.
The 61's sell WAY faster and for at least 40% more for the same condition. Gunbroker and other on lines joints will bear this out.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok. So I found out that gun was manufactured in February 1940. Some odd things though. It has a straight(non pistol grip) stock. Also has a serial number without an A after it. Forearm is about 6" long with only 10 grooves? Not sure if this variance is rare? Thanks for everybody's help. Still not sure what I have?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Straight stock is correct for a 62A.
There wouldn't be any letters in the serial number, so that's ok.
And the short forearm is correct for that vintage also.
I'm not an expert on this, but I think this is all correct.
Todd M.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I never heard it explained as exposed hammer vs hammerless, rather one model compared to another. Winchester pumps also had many variation that could bring big premiums. 1890 and 1906 in very good and better can bring big prices. Better than a 61. Unless your 61 is a 22 magnum with a dovetailed receiver for a scope. Of coarse a 62A in 22 short only ( i:e)Gallery gun is rewarded for its rarer configuration.
When looking at your gun remember condition, condition, condition . First it's a Winchester. The days of any rust bucket with Winchester scratched on it selling for crazy money is decades old. Now a days just the opposite. It better have NRA Good and higher to even sell. Not to mention that the economy has made the collectors market soft . Very soft. Prices have been driven down by the lack of discretionary money . Check GB for actually closed auction prices and how many times it was listed before it sold. Compare pictures to your gun to make sure your comparing apples to apples. Yeah it takes a little time and some work but hell you could just sell it to me for $100 .
Remember that anyone who tells you a value without seeing GREAT pictures is misguiding you.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I just went and looked up some prices on GunBroker, a lot of them listed from 600.00 to
1000.00 not one bid on a single one. They had one listed @ 450.00 and it had 6 bids
up to the 450.00 price. You will have to find the right person to get 600.00 plus.

Mac

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK. Here are some of the pictures that I have. I have 2 bids on the gun currently. I will be closing all bids by noon EST 11/15. Please feel free to PM or email if you have any questions. I am located 30 miles East of Pittsburgh and I am not interested in any trades at this time. Thank you.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts