Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was at a flea market today and there was a gentleman selling Wolf shotgun shells. They were 12 gauge - 1oz -3 1/4 dram loads. He was asking $14.00 a box. Are they shells of good quality? Are they just like any of the other Promo loads sold by Remington, Winchester and Federal? Does anyone have any experience with these shells? Opinions?

· Registered
13,507 Posts
Not sure why you feel the need to shoot a 1,290 fps load of one oz. shells for trap?

I expect there shot is about 2% antimony, or so like Gun Clubs. They'll work fine for 16 yard targets and short handicap. I would not use them for long distance handicap. At double the normal price for shells, I would stay far, far away from them. I just picked up a few flats of one oz. Nobel Sport loads @ 1,200 fps. I am very happy with them, and the price I paid for them. Good Luck to Ya on your quest for enough shells to shoot, at a fair price!!! break em all Jeff

· What squad am I on?
TriStar TT15
8,768 Posts
Wolf is typically bottom barrel. I have a bunch in steel. It'll go bang but that's about the best part. On the plus side if your firearm will run Wolf, it should run about anything.
On another note...
Was at Rural King this morning. They had 223/556 for...

Wait for it...

$49.99/box of 20.

· Super Moderator
6,287 Posts
I believe their made in Russia. At least the Wolf .223 was.
Likely, although what people need to understand about Wolf is that they are only a distributor, they don't make anything.

They sell other mfr's ammunition.

Mostly from Russian ammo plants, but Wolf Gold (.223Rem), for example, is made in Taiwan.

· Registered
3,357 Posts
I think quality of Wolf is ok, not great but similar to Estate white box, Challenger etc. The smell is terrible tho, like putting charcoal starter on a cat turd.

K
Okay Kevin. I've got to ask. How do you know what charcoal starter on a cat turd smells like? Inquiring minds want to know!!

· Registered
1,762 Posts
I was at a flea market today and there was a gentleman selling Wolf shotgun shells. They were 12 gauge - 1oz -3 1/4 dram loads. He was asking $14.00 a box. Are they shells of good quality? Are they just like any of the other Promo loads sold by Remington, Winchester and Federal? Does anyone have any experience with these shells? Opinions?
I have shot a lot of Wolf in the past. 10 yrs ago I bought my second pallet. They were in Anaheim CA. I could not continue shooting at the rate I was so I still have 20 flats that I paid $3.10 a box for. I have never had a dud and they steel base like everything other than the very few that use brass and charge $$$$$$$$$$$$ for them. All that said, no box of shells to shoot clays with is worth $15!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.