Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used 1000 of them I used them using Winchester data. I load well below maximum so I wasn't worried. For the price I now use Cheddite as I can get them cheaper but if I found a deal on Wolf I would use them again. I will say they are harder material than any other,s the firing pin makes about half the depth of dimple in the Wolf as all primers. Dave

·
Registered
243 Posts
I bought 5000 ran through those went back to buy more sold out. The owner says to me "You didn't have any problems with them?" Said he had a lot of complaints. I liked them, I used in place of win 209 although they seem hard.

Jeff

·
Registered
258 Posts
I've shot about 20K of Wolf 209 primers, and if memory serves me, I only had on bad one. They are a bit cooler than the Win or Cheddite, but it's negligable.If you have a firing pin that can give these primers a good whack, they are a good value if you can get them for a good price. I always hear people whining about them, but chances are, it's because the firing pins in their guns won't hit them hard enough. Definitely the hardest primer I've ever used, but overall, I like them when I can buy them right.

·
Registered
193 Posts
In the past I couldn't pass up a deal on primers. I used rio's,cheddites, wolf, cci,remington, federal, and winchesters. My 390 fired them all well except one brand.I would get three or four ftf's per 100 with the wolf primers. I replaced the firing pin and the hammer springs. It did not help. As soon as the wolfs were gone the problem went away. I "saved" a few bucks but caused an enormous amount of grief for myself.
Kenny Bruggeman

·
Registered
13,625 Posts
Wolf primers are about the worst ones I've ever used. Roughly 1/2 of them wouldn't fire out of my gun. Sold them to someone who was more tolerant of FTFs, and moved on. Wouldn't take them again if someone were giving them away.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I've bought batch's of 20,000, 25,000, and 25,000. I'm now using that last 25,000.

Extreme FPS spreads were in line with Winchester primers.

You do need a firing pin with a good radius and an up to snuff pin spring, but, you probably won't have to worry about piercing a Wolf. 11,000 PSI will eventually chew up the nose of a firing pin.

I sure wish they were still available.

·
Banned
2,562 Posts
One has to remember the current wolf primer is not the same primer brought in country 10 years ago by PMC.

I still have 40K or so of them. Without a doubt one of the better primers that I have ever used. I wish I had another 100K of them. Yes, I do agree they are a SLIGHTLY cooler primer than a Winchester. Resulting in a 25-30fps drop in most cases. 410 is more pronounced.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Bought 5000, down to my last 200.

The hardest primer I have ever used.

1 primer fail last week hit it hard 3 times dismantled the shell no fire at all from primer.

Same size as Winchesters.

Would not light some powders consistantly when temp drops, Claydot and 700X many shooters from the same group buy had same issue (fairy farts off sounding loads).

Ran in Greendot 20ga. loads no issue cold.

Did not like 410 powder for me.

Primer swap no more problem. Not as hot as any other primer you can tell from a mixed bag without looking which are the Wolf with some powders.

If they show up again they will be under the Tula brand is what I understand.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
With cbxchris' post in mind I used some PMC's a few years ago, they were fine in my pump but the SBT didn't like them, cup was too hard, many light strikes. The ones that failed to fire in the SBT all fired in my pump. No issues with misc. powders--temps--wads--etc. Just quit using them in SBT and used them up in the pump. Would I use them again,,,, given that I shoot the pump 95% of the time yes if they were all I could get. Ross Puls

·
Registered
243 Posts
Still Avail. http://www.ammunitionstore.com/products/209-shotshell-primers-wolf-performance-5-000-pc-box-free-shipping.html . For those of you still looking for them

·
Registered
318 Posts
+1 Wolf primers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts