Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shot my first round of wobble trap today but I'm not sure if it was really wobble trap. The club had us shoot from an elevated platform about 15 feet high the thrower was directly under us. It threw random high and low, left and right targets. Is this correct for wobble trap?

·
Super Moderator
4,959 Posts
I've never heard of a club going to that effort.

However, since "wobble" is supposed to replicate an Olympic ("International") set up, what you describe replicates it a little better than the way it's normally done.

Normally "wobble" is just shot on the standard trap field layout. The only difference is that it's shot from the 17 (sometimes 18) yard line.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
The trap was definitely set in wobble mode.
I have never shot it from a platform.
There are no rules for wobble.
Clubs can set it up however they like.
Throwing the targets faster definitely increases the challenge.

West

·
Registered
371 Posts
upload_2016-11-6_23-33-30.png

I bet it was something like this wasn't it?

There aren't really any rules for wobble trap in the U.S.- at least. I guess if the trap moved up and down and side to side it was wobbling. However, what most people refer to "wobble" is shot on standard trap field. In Europe they shoot something called Universal trench which is like International trap "light"-single trap with varying heights and angles, but placed below ground. Here is a clip, sorry for the music

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
View attachment 624321

In Europe they shoot something called Universal trench which is like International trap "light"-single trap with varying heights and angles, but placed below ground. Here is a clip, sorry for the music

Sorry to disagree but the video you link is Universal Trench (UT), sometimes called Five Trap. Under the lid are five fixed traps, not a single wobble trap. The trap set up is similar to bunker trap in that the left hand target throws a sharp right hand target, trap 2 throws a less angled RH target. The centre trap throws a straight(ish) target and the two RH traps throw left hand targets. Because the traps are spaced far less than the shooting positions the extreme LH targets when shot from peg 1 can be in excess of 50 degrees. Ditto for RH target off peg 5. Here is an example of a LH target from peg 1.
Here's a link to this video.

Video "Universal (5) Trap" in the album "Tyred Dog and son" by Tyred Dog

In Europe we shoot a version of wobble trap called Automatic Ball Trap (ABT). The single oscillating trap is set below ground level and most clubs that shoot UT and ABT just use an ABT trap in the middle of the five UT traps (turned off obviously).

Both disciplines are very challenging due to speed and angle of targets. Two shots are allowed at each target but this is often not enough to :)

The set up described by the original poster sounds very odd?

DT

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
The elevated, covered, 5 stand is the new setup at the gun club at Chambersburg, PA, but not that high. It's great fun & is very popular. There's no set rules about how the setup is formatted, & the only thing you need is a wobble trap. They shoot a single & two report pairs per post.

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
Unless the Wobble Trap machine was located in a Trap house that was 16 to 17 yards in front of you on a standard layout trap field!!! You were not shooting Wobble Trap.

If you were standing on top of the machine that was throwing the targets, you were shooting a 5 stand type shoot that used a Wobble Trap machine. I have shot this form from a platform that was about 5 feet high and it was fun and different and well worth trying.

I have also shoot Wobble Trap the correct way, and the incorrect way depending on what club I was shooting at. The correct way is when the machine it throwing 3 hole targets that are very wide and also up and down. This requires the shooters on station 1 and 5 to be shooting from the 17 yard line, while the shooters on stations 2,3 and 4 are standing on the 16 yard line. These end shooters need to be set back because of the extra wide turns the shooter use in a 3 hole target.

Now I've also shot Wobble Trap from clubs using today's standard 2 hole targets and the up and down. This from of Wobble can be shoot with all shooters on the 16 yard line as the extra wide turns are now removed and don't place shooters at the ends at risk. To really make Wobble Trap fun try moving back to the 27 yard line. Or shoot it from the Skeet stations. Or try it with Annie's. As long as you have enough shooters who are willing to try it, or who enjoy shooting it regularly for fun. I say go for it. It makes for good betting as well. If it Fly's----It Die's---Nuff Said. break em all Jeff

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
The elevated, covered, 5 stand is the new setup at the gun club at Chambersburg, PA, but not that high. It's great fun & is very popular. There's no set rules about how the setup is formatted, & the only thing you need is a wobble trap. They shoot a single & two report pairs per post.
Border bandit,
They also have a house straight out about 75yds. For incoming shots ( mostly curving away to the left) also they have placed 2 separate houses to the left and right of the 5 stand about 25 yds for ground rabbits.
With no random pattern, pullers choice.
I like shooting there also.

·
Registered
92 Posts
yes there are no rules in Wobble. I shot wobble at 3 different clubs with 3 different set ups. I shot from that wings five stand, from a platform that is right over the trap machine and from a regular trap field. In my opinion the hardest setup is from the regular trap field. The other 2 setups you are shooting down at the lower targets and the high targets are not as high because you are standing on a platform. just my 2 cents

·
Registered
92 Posts
wobble is great...we just had our annual 50 bird wobble event...we shoot from the 16 without the 3 hole angle...Usually someone hitting a 25 in a round is rare..a 46 or 47 usually takes the event...this year a club member shot 50 straight...lots of fun

·
5,053 Posts
Maybe someone has a copy of the WWTA rules for Wobble...

·
Registered
96 Posts
I second the statement about if being more fun than ATA 16yd shooting. I agree about the standard trap field being difficult, sometimes you feel like the shot will have to skip off the top of trap house to get the low birds.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I second the statement about if being more fun than ATA 16yd shooting. I agree about the standard trap field being difficult, sometimes you feel like the shot will have to skip off the top of trap house to get the low birds.
lol ..that's exactly what happened this year...some new shooters shot up the house...top and sides

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
Our club built a 42" high, covered 5-stand shooting platform and installed a wobble trap in front of the middle station at 16 yards. It is incorporated into our 5-stand which has 8 other Lincoln battery/solar panel sporting traps that are regularly moved to change the presentations of the targets.

It makes a nice set-up as you can shoot 5-stand or just wobble trap if so desired.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I see a couple of requests for rules for Wobble Trap. I think if you go online and look up the latest rules for Automatic Ball Trap [ABT] you will find it covers all the items. A quick overview is that these rules are the same as Olympic Bunker with the exception that there is only one trap.
The target distance is 70 meters [76.55 yards] and the angles are 30 degrees plus or minus 2.5 degrees either side of center. I think that a 3 hole setting on the trap will get you somewhere in between those angles.
I hope that helps.
Devonian.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts