Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 271 Posts
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With WSC closing, what other facilities can be ready in 14 months to hold at least some form of the Grand. It will almost certainly need to be an existing facility.

How many traps in Elysburg, PA?

How many traps at the NSSA-NSCA facilty in Texas?

Where else?

·
Super Moderator
5,323 Posts
With WSC closing, what other facilities can be ready in 14 months to hold at least some form of the Grand. It will almost certainly need to be an existing facility.

How many traps in Elysburg, PA?

How many traps at the NSSA-NSCA facilty in Texas?

Where else?

You're late.

http://www.trapshooters.com/threads/grand-under-attack.246555/

http://www.trapshooters.com/threads/sparta-wsc.247171/

http://www.trapshooters.com/threads/illinois-governor-plans-on-closing-wsc.247216/

·
Registered
204 Posts
Even if the state shut it down, the ATA still has a lease with the State and the Grand would still be open for business at Sparta. The ATA is not part of the State of Illinois.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Has anybody stated the annual savings that the State of Illinois would receive if the WSC were not to receive state funding? Have any of the local politicians in the Sparta area made a case for funding the WSC. Given that the total budget for the state of Illinois is probably in the 10's of billions, is not the annual cost of funding the WSC like a pail of water in the ocean?

Does not Illinois have a 6/30/15 deadline to approve a budget so that the state can pay its employees and disburse funds for hospitals, schools and welfare? It seems that by mid July, the budget situation will be at critical mass.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Since the center of registered, active trap shooters is in the Midwest, it would stay there or move west as the center moves west.

I for one plan to be shooting the Grand at Sparta for a long, long, time.......don't get excited about political posturing.

·
Super Moderator
5,323 Posts
And Dayton was just "playing the game'?

V-10, different question here, specifically what others facilities are available?
None, as a single site.

It may be possible to run it as a "telephonic" shoot. But the sites would have to be in fairly close proximity, time zone-wise.

It would be nice to have it cover four time zones, but that's not practical. An hour difference is tolerable. Two hours maybe. But three hours difference I don't think can be pulled off.

We cover four time zones for the Western Zone shoot, but the folks in Hawaii have to start early and there are only about 30 shooters so they don't take a long time to shoot the program.

The Central and Southwestern Zone shoots cover two time zones and that works ok.

If I were doing it I'd look at having Linn Creek, Mason, the Cardinal Center, Elysburg, the Silver Dollar, and San Antonio as all being a site.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
For the Indy 500, wouldn't it make sense for each driver to drive the required laps at some track close to home and call in their time? How about this? every shooter can call in a score from the trap in their back yard, hey, no travel required!
A telephonic shoot is the MOST unfair way there is to determine a single winner, differences in facilities/backgrounds/weather/time zones/ the list could go on and on.
Yes, Dayton did "play the game" for many, many years before they actually took any action. In fact they took so many years, the ATA officials of that time frame saw nothing to convince them that it would ever change. Our leadership changed so often that it was difficult to nearly impossible to plan that far out.
Lucky for us, IL Gov. does close ties with some known trapshooters, this could work in the ATA's favor, don't panic yet.

·
Registered
181 Posts
1. I think it is unlikely the WSC will actually close.

2. If it does, there may be a "mothball option" where the WSC opens for two weeks (only) for the Grand each year. Camp Perry is kind of that way.

gold40

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Boy you guy's over react to something that's just starting to unfold, you have made a lot of assumptions based on a couple newspaper articles and TV reports that may or may not be factual. Why not wait until the bodies cold before burying it. None of you know what is really going on from either side so why don't you wait see, the outcome may surprise you.

Surfer

461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If I were doing it I'd look at having Linn Creek, Mason, the Cardinal Center, Elysburg, the Silver Dollar, and San Antonio as all being a site.
With 14 months to go, NOW is the time to start on a Plan B.

Silver Dollar, 26 fields
Tucson, 50
Cardinal Center, 52
Michigan Trapshooters Assoc, 44
Missouri Trapshooters Assoc, 60
NSSA-NSCA, 46

Where else? Numbers please.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I just looked at the Governor's purposed 2016 budget. There are at least 3 line items that include the complex. Line 4538 Infrastructure Improvement $152,400 Line 4618 Operating Expenses $1,386,800 and Line 4619 Operating Expenses $350,000. That does not look like the Governor has given up on this facility.

I also posted this on the other thread about Sparta. I really do not think that at least for fiscal year 2016 we will see any changes at Sparta.

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
Here come all the "chicken littles" the sky is falling. If you want to read on the coming supposed disaster go to the Anti ATA site, they are having a field day. The only damage I see will be to ATA is the number of campers who don't renew their camping leases which are due the end of July. They will probably hold off until the matter is settled.

Don

1 - 20 of 271 Posts