Trapshooters Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
How about we start with why you want an O/U? Seriously why do you?
cause I don't have one ,and I don't have a 20 gauge ,so I was going to get and over under 20 gauge ,
I do have a shotgun I'm shooting now ,got a loner from a friend over /under 20 gauge old Sear an Roebucks
and I do have a 12 GAUGE PUMP Remington 870
Thanks Dave
South Jersey

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
Personally I have yet to meet an 870 Remington that I cannot shoot fairly well or better. If you want to or need to adjust the gun for the trap game. Cheek-eze pads are inexpensive, playing with length a slip over recoil pad works. If you figure out some or all of what works for you. Take off 870 stocks, some with all the bells and whistles are available.
I spent under a hundred bucks to get my field gun shooting right for the trap game. It got me trophies, a state championship and a couple of 100 straights.

For those and that say "you can't shoot doubles with a pump!" I say they are just jealous of those that can and do! Heck there were a couple of decades or more where pumps where the predominant shotgun for trap doubles included.

Until I got to big shoots with the biggest of dogs shooting. Pump shooters where the fastest shots in doubles more often than not and more than frequently near the top of the scoreboard. .

Al

A friend sealed his 25 thousand in doubles with his 870 and a hundred straight at the same time.

·
Registered
133 Posts
NEW TO TRAP BEEN USEING AN AUTO SHOTGUN
BUT WOULD LIKE TO BUY AN OVER UNDER , DON'T HAVE A PILE OF CASH
BEEN LOOKING ,SO MAY TO PICK FROM
WOULD LIKE TO STAY AROUND $550,00 OR LESS, YOU ALL NOW SHELLS WENT UP
ANY INPUT OR SUGGESTIONS THANKS ONELEG , YEP GOT ONE LEG
LOOKED AT// STOEGER CONDOR
TRISTAR // HUNTER EX OR UPLAND HUNTER
ATI /AMERICAN TRACTICAL CAVALRY SVE
MOSSBERG LITTLE TO MUCH $$$$
It gets in your blood so stay away from all those your listed. Save up and buy a good Browning CXT. Excellent gun for trap! I started out with cheaper guns and was mostly shoot Sporting Clays. So I spent over $3,200 for a Browning Citori Sport. Then I ended up buying all new pairs of extended chokes 10 of them at $85. each Then a pro watched me shoot and told me I was wasting my time and picking up bad habits by shooting Sporting Clays! That I should stick to TRAP & with some pointers and a CXT you will do good. He was right. However I did get my first few 25's in tarp and even in skeet. Since I went to the CXT, busting more clays yet. Poor 725 Citori now sits in the safe with some of those other cheaper guns.
On one more side note.... Get adjustable stock. Gun fit/mount is 85% mor better to breaking clays!
Hope what little bit I know will shed some light on you future picks! Good Luck

·
Premium Member
8,596 Posts
Forget the damn shotgun, from what you are sporting, as far as walkin hardware, you need a new below the knee prosthesis far more than a new shotgun. Even a fine P gun is going to bring you little joy if your leg torments you and cause excruciating pain in your stance, and will be the equivalent of having a splinter laden stick up your keyster every time you pull the trigger that I guarantee will bring very little joy to a person no matter how many little clay circles you smoke! You should consider at least an Ossur reflex foot and a Iceross seal in liner system, that will improve your standing and walking ability, to contribute to a higher quality of life with less pain and fatigue. Been an amputee now for 52 damn years, and no shotgun will improve your shooting fun and enjoyment than a good fitting and energy returning prosthetic leg that will not be uncomfortable and wear you out after standing for a couple of hours Don't know your current activity level, but my friend if you want to soar with the wings of eagles, you can't be walking on the leg of a damn turkey! Things are different today, and there are many choices now. You do not have to necessary need go with the Maserati models, if you can't swing it, but this like a deciding on using bargain basement hooker or a $1500.00 a night quality piece, this is not where you want to skimp on! Myself, I have 10 top of the line cutting edge prosthetic legs liners, and accessories in my closet in addition to what I currently use, 6 plus figures worth of hardware available daily that could, if cashed in buy five of the very best ,top of the line trapshooting guns. To me, this is more important, as if I need to. I can use this stuff to out run my wife if I need to, giving me the ability to save my bacon from my latest screw up, and to stymie her efforts if she thinks she can immobilize me by hiding my leg! As some things in life are more important than you damn shootin score!!! .
Best wishes
Aloha One
Randall

·
Registered
3 Posts
Start looking for an old Charles daly Miroku built gun, they can be acquired close to your price range and will be 20 times better guns than anything new for that price.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I have told many new shooters this before. Shoot a $500 - $600 dollar gun of the best quality and value, no matter the type. That usually is going to be an auto, or a pump for clays shooting. When it is time to move up, or funds permit, sell the previous gun with little to no loss, and purchase the next step up. If you purchase right, on used guns, you will almost never loose money even though you are using them during that transition time. Of course, this is if you take some care in preserving the gun with cleaning, and oil once in a while, and avoiding major dings and destruction.

Reactions: MBM1565 and Kazer

·
Registered
101 Posts
A nice Browning Citori 725 over/under was just listed on GunBroker for starting bid of 1999.99
Find it fast- type 905939089 in search box

·
Banned
16 Posts
I would look at the TriStar TT-15. They have several models to choose from. I have a TT-15 and so does my son.Great gun for what you get at the price..

·
What squad am I on?
GU 725 Adj Combo & CG Summit Combo.
8,262 Posts
I would look at the TriStar TT-15. They have several models to choose from. I have a TT-15 and so does my son.Great gun for what you get at the price..
I've been thinking about buying one of these for a while now, any issues? I've heard rumors....

·
Registered
33,579 Posts
Back In 1975, I financed my first new Perazzi with a personal loan. Now that I am retired, if I wanted to do it again, and did not have the funds, I might take out a small loan on my home. The payment period can be made longer than on a personal loan. With reverse mortgages a guy would not even have to repay the loan and could buy the shotgun of his dreams……or nightmares.

Reactions: WadHopper

·
What squad am I on?
GU 725 Adj Combo & CG Summit Combo.
8,262 Posts
Nothing big. We’ve had a couple of screws come loose. Tristar customer service is great.
Well that begs the question of needing customer service for loose screws but I digress, I've been around the block a few times and it wouldn't surprise me if Garrett knew my name well.
I was a big fan of the TT15 (understatement as many here can attest to) but eventually I lost faith. I would suspect that (hopefully) they've got some of the bugs out by now but my TriStar experience taught me to invest in proven reliability simply because because I couldn't afford not to.
The most important thing is that those that shoot them are having fun and not being let down. Our sport is expensive and needs all it can get, especially now so I wish you and the rest all the best.

·
Banned
16 Posts
The question was what gun on a fixed income not what gun is the best. You could have that discussion all day long and not get the same answer. I agree if your going to shoot tens if thousands of rounds a year. I probably won’t go with the tristar. But a person on a fixed income probably won’t shoot tens of thousands of rounds and the Tristar is hard to beat on price per options and would do gust fine.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
I want to get into a Funny Car that burns nitro but only have about $900.00 to spend. What do you guys suggest I get?

I guess it depends on how much my fixed income is. If it’s fixed because I only own 35 oil wells then it could be a bit more maybe!

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
Just keep shooting an auto loader, and find a way to bolt a magnet on to your fake leg! Pick up your empties as you walk the field!

41 - 60 of 60 Posts