Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
I would really recommend that you save up more money and buy a better used shotgun. An older Browning would be a good choice. I understand money being tight. It took me a very long time to be able to buy a nice shotgun. The brands you mentioned will give you nothing but grief and a waste of money. I’ve owned cheap guns like those listed and they won’t work for trap shooting.
There are few proven makes of shotguns for trap shooting. Why that is important is that most guns bought for hunting will not shoot a flat of shells in the owners lifetime. Go to a trap shoot and shoot for to six hundred shots on Saturday and Sunday. Heck 50 shots once a week adds up quick. Between the Spring league and summer league I will be in a thousand shots.
I haven't seen any Stoeger shotgun go 200 shots without breaking.
The thing to look for is proven to get thousands of shots before breaking and how well the vendors or gunsmiths are at getting them fixed. These things rule out the original posts list.

Al

·
Keystone Shooter
2,285 Posts
Agree with most posts above on the used Browning. Another one to consider is a previosly trained SKB. Only buy one made in Japan. My first trap gun was an Ithaca SKB. Never had a problem and I shot it a lot for about 2 years.
I too have had several Japanese SKB’s. Still have one. A 85 TSS a back up. They are built like a battleship. You can pick up one, used for anywhere between $600 and $1,200. Look around.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Not everyone can "save up your money and buy..."
Some people are lucky to just break even each month.
If he's just breaking even now trap sure isn't a sport to take up. Others are right, sometime the cheapest in the long run is more expensive at first. If he can afford to shoot he should be able to scrape some money together sooner or later.

·
Registered
8,060 Posts
I'd like to know any particular reason you fancy an O/U while 1100 will do a fine job for many years.

Also, remember a trap gun is the least expensive investment in your trap shooting journey. Cost of shooting will soon exceeds what you spent on the shotgun.

·
Registered
158 Posts
NEW TO TRAP BEEN USEING AN AUTO SHOTGUN
BUT WOULD LIKE TO BUY AN OVER UNDER , DON'T HAVE A PILE OF CASH
BEEN LOOKING ,SO MAY TO PICK FROM
WOULD LIKE TO STAY AROUND $550,00 OR LESS, YOU ALL NOW SHELLS WENT UP
ANY INPUT OR SUGGESTIONS THANKS ONELEG , YEP GOT ONE LEG
LOOKED AT// STOEGER CONDOR
TRISTAR // HUNTER EX OR UPLAND HUNTER
ATI /AMERICAN TRACTICAL CAVALRY SVE
MOSSBERG LITTLE TO MUCH $$$$
If you don't plan to shoot doubles seriously stick with a single barrel gun like an 870 Trap or BT-99. Low price point guns will not stand up to the pounding.

·
Registered
Winchester Diamond Grade Trap Combo , Browning 725 Pro Trap
144 Posts
NEW TO TRAP BEEN USEING AN AUTO SHOTGUN
BUT WOULD LIKE TO BUY AN OVER UNDER , DON'T HAVE A PILE OF CASH
BEEN LOOKING ,SO MAY TO PICK FROM
WOULD LIKE TO STAY AROUND $550,00 OR LESS, YOU ALL NOW SHELLS WENT UP
ANY INPUT OR SUGGESTIONS THANKS ONELEG , YEP GOT ONE LEG
LOOKED AT// STOEGER CONDOR
TRISTAR // HUNTER EX OR UPLAND HUNTER
ATI /AMERICAN TRACTICAL CAVALRY SVE
MOSSBERG LITTLE TO MUCH $$$$
Should be able to buy a Browning BT-99 for around $ 800- 1000 used . if you want to upgrade in the future you will get what you paid for it. If you want a o/u Browning still the way to go might be a little more $$$ but we’ll worth it.
Check with people at the Club where you shoot they will get you started in the right direction.
Good Luck !

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Thank you all for your input .
Hope you are all having a Safe and Fun July 4
As for the over under, good Friend let me have a loner 20 gauge ,check it out a old Sear and Roebuck MADE IN ITALY
Will get to my club this week and run some shells thru it
And I will ask Santa . Ha
Later
Dave South Jersey

·
Registered
242 Posts
One of the Remington trap guns (1100 Classic Trap, 1100 Competition, 870 Classic Trap) would be better than a Turkish over/under. I'm sorry, but the quality is just not there yet. I've seen a few good ones being used by scholastic shooters, but the vast majority just will not stand up. From what I've heard, the Brazilian made Stoeger is even worse in quality than Turkish made guns. The price looks good, but you'll be disappointed. Another thing about the Brazilian/Turkish guns is there is little interest in them if you need to sell them quickly.

·
Premium Member
4,334 Posts
You need a higher comb to really shoot trap. Buy a wrapit and put it on the stock. 30 bucks and it is cheaper then an adjustable comb to start with

21 - 40 of 60 Posts