Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I shoot a Browning Citori 725 Trap that I’ve had for about a year now. There is something wrong with the fit of the gun as im getting abusive cheek slap when shooting. The gun currently doesn’t have an adjustable pad or comb. I’m looking for a gun fitter in central Wisconsin to help me get this gun set up properly before the new season starts. Anyone know of any in my area?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I quoted this from another thread'

Larry is Larry Wehinger, pronounced WE ing er. he can be reached every afternoon in his shop at 608-328-4339. Time to call is 4 PM. Larry does stock fitting, stock adjustemnts as necessary, sells new and used trap and field guns and is himself an accomplished trap shooter. He has won the WI Clay Target Championship at least twice. Nice guy and worth the trip to MOnroe to see him at his shop. He usually shoots at Janesville as a home club.

If you are in the northern section of WI then you want ot see the fellow at land O Lakes. His name is John Muir and I can dig that out (never mind, I did)

John Muir Gateway Gun Club, Land O Lakes, WI 715-547-3915 or his lodge 800-848-8058.

If you are in the Milwaukee area, see Senior Smoke of Trapshooters.com fame and/or Luther.

And if you are in NW Wisconsin, holler at me and I will fix you up.

Jack

[email protected]
JACK, Aug 21, 2009 Report

Here's another one: HG Lomas Gunmakers - Home

·
Registered
88 Posts
I also have same issue. I did install the Beretta gel cheek pad on my 725 and that helped. When I was a kid a old-timer taught me to shoot by always telling me to cheek the gun. Every birthday, and Christmas card would always say "Cheek the gun". I feel I developed a bad habit that I over jam my face down. Once a year I get a bruise no matter what brand of shotgun I use. But, I must say when I do this I rarely miss. I'm not sure what to do! If anybody has some thoughts PLEASE share' Thanks

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
The bruise to which you refer is often called "cheek slap." It has several causes:

1) Too much or too little cheek pressure on the comb. Shotgun barrels rise during recoil. Too much pressure and the increase during recoil and injure the cheek. Too little pressure and especially raising the cheek off the comb during swings will cause the comb to impact the cheek rather than just push it.

2) The way your cheek makes contact with the comb can also be involved. If you lean your neck forward to put your cheek on the comb, the cheek makes contact with the pointed part of the cheekbone where there is a less flesh covering it. With the reduced flesh covering and a greater number of pain receptors in that area, the recoil driven rising comb can cause pain.

3) The pitch on the stock may be wrong for you. When the pointed toe of the recoil pad sticks out too far, the pivot point on your shoulder as the gun rises during recoil is farther below the axis of the bore than it would be if the gun were pivoting on a part of the pad closer to the level of the barrel.

You could try putting washers on the top recoil pad attachment screw between the stock and the recoil pad to see if that helps. You want the pivot point to be near or on the heel of the recoil pad.

4) Laying your cheek on the comb to better align your eye with the rib can also cause cheek slap for a reason similar to that of leaning your neck forward to put your cheek on the comb, unfortunate contact of your cheek with the comb.

I agree. Find a competent stock fitter. He may suggest a change in your gun mount or change a stock dimension or two so you can mount your gun correctly.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Even though gun fit is very important, and directing recoil equally, I find that a soft top adjustable comb helps with relief of pain. I have found myself at time getting mad at myself for lifting my head, mostly caused by not concentrating, and really grinding my cheek down on the comb. This pressure alone causes pain, but then the added recoil does the rest. This in turn makes for a continually worse day as it goes on. The gun fits fine, and recoil pain was not an issue prior, but once it starts it snowballs and acerbates the problem of lifting your head and causing even more pounding of your cheek, and lost scores.

The soft comb allows you put good pressure down on it, without feeling that initial pain to begin with, which leads to head lift. Obviously the material can not be so soft that it allows to much compression.

Another thing that makes a difference is the shape of the comb top. Rounded or roll-over combs help most to feel comfortable. Some people, that factory shaped comb just does not match up to their cheek bones, and causes problems. This is where I could see some custom fitting as to pressure forming a pattern stock to conform to the shooters cheek bone structure, say into a setting Bondo of sorts, covered in plastic wrap. As long as you are going custom, you may as well go all the way.

Either way above, more than likely an adjustable comb and pad is probably a useful start. The pitch spacing can be worked into that also.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hi I just talked to Larry and he would love to have you call him ,he don,t get on here much . his number is 608-328-4339
a Great guy and he Knows his stocks .Give him a call .

·
Registered
279 Posts
Did you ever get your stock work done yet , Like to know of a follow up if you did , new season right around the corner ...
JDHOG

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yes Larry will do what ever it takes to make it fit you the way you desire it .Give him a call you will not be sorry ..
JDHOG

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi everyone. I shoot a Browning Citori 725 Trap that I’ve had for about a year now. There is something wrong with the fit of the gun as im getting abusive cheek slap when shooting. The gun currently doesn’t have an adjustable pad or comb. I’m looking for a gun fitter in central Wisconsin to help me get this gun set up properly before the new season starts. Anyone know of any in my area?
Not sure if you ever visited Larry but if you haven’t and intend to try to dial in exactly what is casing the cheek slap, as stated abive there are many reasons why this occurs. So the the more accurate information you can provide the more help he will be. Me for example: it doesn’t matter how well my stock fits me, if I lift my head and while pulling the trigger I get a slap as a reminder. Best of luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts