Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sick and tired of being jacked around by Time Warner. They give newcomers service for $79 a month while I pay $180.

So they have to go. First I have to get my phone to a new provider so I can cancel the TW bundle. I'll worry about TV and Internet after that.

I have phones everywhere, around 8 or so wired throughout the house. I think they should be ok with new stuff since they are local power rather than Phone line DC (called "battery" by techs.). TW just put their box in and hit an existing jack with it.

So, what service, any problems, cost, etc? Any info appreciated.

HM

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Why not do what a lot of people are doing - use your CEL phone only (or maybe that's what you're talking about). Since you can carry it in your pocket anywhere in the house, you only need one instead of eight. We did that when we downsized three years ago and don't miss all those wired phones at all. I did have to have a wired line run into our condo for my FAX machine but $30 a month for that service through Century Link isn't hateful. Our cellular service is with Verizon and our TV and Internet are with Comcast. I wouldn't mind changing to Verizon FIOS, which we had in our home, but it isn't available here yet.

Ed

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't scrap the land line (wife hardly ever carries her cell), will look at Verizon. Keep 'em coming.

HM

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
On the subject of land lines, I have a somewhat related question maybe someone can answer. We have Dish Network. The phone line connects to the Dish receiver which allows the Caller ID to pop up on the screen when someone calls. Frankly I could care a less about that option but it is my understanding that the phone line is also used when we wish to order Pay Per View movies on Dish. Now I could live without that as well but the wife watches movies that way quite often. If it wasn't for these issues, I'd ditch our land line. Does anyone know if I indeed need that land line to order movies on Dish?

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Rick,

I don't have the Hopper but I do have the newest receivers Dish has that are not Hopper. Was just upgraded this winter. The Hopper was something we just couldn't justify as we wouldn't use it for what it's intended. The Hopper costs extra per month so we went with just new receivers when they upgraded and it was all free with no extra per month charges.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
If you have Comcast Internet service, you might consider their VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) service. We changed our landlines at work from AT&T over a year ago and all is well - and the monthly bill is much less.

Gene in Illinois

·
Registered
553 Posts
I live out in the country, went with Verizon wireless home phone-19.95 month, no internet in the area except excede dish-49.99 month for 10 gigs, very satisfied so far.Joe

·
Registered
273 Posts
Went the Verizon route here at the Ranch (rural) Replaced ATT land line service in two houses here , was $149.00 plus some new fee for whatever.

Went with the Verizon device in both my house and guest house for total of $40.00 a month total. I pay a little more for mine to add an international calling option, an additional $7-$10 bucks monthly.
Very satisfied. Call quality is better than the ATT was. Took less than a day to make the switchover.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
HM, I'm willing to bet that it wouldn't take your wife long to learn to keep her CEL with her if the landline phones went away. My wife struggled with that at first but after our kids started calling me instead of her because she so often did not answer, she got with the program.

Old(er) dogs CAN learn new tricks.

Ed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts