Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready for trap in the north east winter

Just ordered a wild hare winter jacket and a under armor scent lock jacket...will figure which one I like and return the other.

I plan on changing to a thinner recoil pad for minimal change in LOP..do you guys mess with your comb at all for winter?

Also purchased under armor base layer 4.0 in hoping I can add a thermal and light fleece and stay warm while maintaining mobility.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
chetman7...........I do NOT change my comb and do not change the recoil pad. I head for the Silver Dollar and shoot till April...!!!!! wishing you stay WARM and good shooting......

·
Supporting Vendor
10,237 Posts
I don't change anything, but do layer cloths with an under armor or similar (Columbia...I like that line). That said, I don't shoot any registered Trap targets from October through March in a typical year.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
When I was young, I would often shoot in below zero temperatures as I dressed like the Michelin tire man. Scores go down in cold weather, and dressing with bulky winter clothes only made my scores tumble even more.

Before I stopped shooting in winter, I wore a Columbia spring shell jacket with no lining and then a Columbia winter fleece zip up jacket over it as It gave me flexibility when shooting. I use to wear Bob Allen winter gloves which were still to bulky for me as I could not feel my trigger finger on the trigger of the gun.

I switched to winter golf gloves which helped, and I used a ski band over my ears and when it got really cold I placed a wool beanie cap over that too. When I look back at some of the low temperatures I once attempted to shoot in (minus 80 degree wind chill) I shake my head and say I must have been crazy.

The older I got I could not take the cold like when I was younger.
Steve Balistreri
Wauwatosa Wisconsin

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I typically don't shoot registered...but in my area they are doing big 50s for HCP...so I am trying to stay warm and hopefully get a punch or 2. I shot with the under armor hunting jacket and it was too bulky to swing correctly....I did have stage 4 cold gear from under armor...best 80 bucks I spent. I had that and a thermal and I was fine shooting today in 34deg w wind.

Also thinking about putting the money I would have in shells for this winter and buiy a dryfire system

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Even though I'm in the south now, what I did when I was in a colder climate-Marked my real heavy sweat shirt with the outline of my gun, cut material out & the gun fits the same year round- I never wear a vest our a shoulder pad.

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
126 Posts
Even though I'm in the south now, what I did when I was in a colder climate-Marked my real heavy sweat shirt with the outline of my gun, cut material out & the gun fits the same year round- I never wear a vest our a shoulder pad.

Phil Berkowitz
Great idea. I'll try this, after all the worse that can happen is I get a cold shoulder :)

·
Banned
7,659 Posts
Also, you can back the hole with the type of material used in an under armor nylon shirt- triple stitch it in works great

Phil Berkowitz

·
Registered
917 Posts
I think you've got a lot more problems than the length of pull.

Seeing orange birds against a snow background is the killer for me. And if you listen to others they often talk about not seeing the launch clearly. Bird launch direction "anticipation", having missed a few in winter, is also a killer. You just know where it's going but it doesn't. If you miss a clear launch, and its direction, you're going to stab at them and your scores are going down - just like sometimes happens in the summer when you miss the launch.

There are also those good winter shooters who swear by 7 1/2 shot on those frozen birds encountered. At below, or near, zero in our area they may be on to something. I've seen lots of bird "dusting" - and no breakage - during winter, shooting 8's on a real cold day. I'm trying 7 1/2 shot (full choke) this year during real cold winter days to see if they're onto something.

A down coat compresses out fairly easy so I'm not worried about the LOP - I think it's the least of our problems but easy to blame a miss on. I'm also gonna be damn careful where I'm looking for the launch too. And my comb will stay where it is.

·
Registered
11,121 Posts
No Problems for me down here. I only have to wear a light jacket like 5 times during the winter. So the odds of one of those days being a weekend are low. hehehehe break em all> Jeff

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Although I no longer shoot registered targets I still use the same Bob Allen down shooting jacket I used in the 70s and 80s. I even shot in a blizzard, the club switched from white dome ( this was before orange targets) to all black targets so we could see them in the snow. I even managed to run one house.

Reactions: Rottiman

·
Sky Buster
4,169 Posts
Although I no longer shoot registered targets I still use the same Bob Allen down shooting jacket I used in the 70s and 80s. I even shot in a blizzard, the club switched from white dome ( this was before orange targets) to all black targets so we could see them in the snow. I even managed to run one house.
At our club here in Minnesota, we shoot all winter long expect if the
weather is 10 degrees or colder, we don't. I wear insulted jeans, (long
underwear not needed). T shirt, light sweatshirt and my Browning
down shooting jacket. Never cold with this combination. The real
problem is my hands. Very hard to keep them warm. Have never
found any gloves that are both thin and warm. We come inside
after singles, warm up for five minutes and shoot handicap. This
is a 50 bird jackpot event.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Remember the down filled 10X jackets. There is still a couple of those around here. I use a John Storm coat with layering. Very comfortable. My hands do get cold even with gun gloves.

·
Registered
570 Posts
The newest thing for winter shooting is a heated jacket, you can change the battery to keep them going, their make by one of the tool makers..........

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Chem heat packs on the backs of your hands under your gloves.
Cabelas windstopper sweater with wool undergarments.

Bill

·
Registered
151 Posts
chetman7...........I do NOT change my comb and do not change the recoil pad. I head for the Silver Dollar and shoot till April...!!!!! wishing you stay WARM and good shooting......
I SAY THERE,,,,,, DID YA LEAVE FOR FLA.ALREADY???? DIDNT SEE YA SAT ,

1 - 20 of 22 Posts