Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are a few pictures of the fields around our house after the 40 + MPH gusts rolled the snow into balls all over any unsheltered field. Oh yes, it also got just a little chilly that night!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Those "things" are called snow rollers. It is a very rare weather phenomena that occurs when the conditions are just right. Google "snow rollers" and it will give a whole explanation. There were thousands around our house and fields too. Thanks for posting the pictures Joe.

·
Registered
546 Posts
The snow rollers seem to be pretty much all over western PA. Some large pasture fields I have seen have literally thousands of them. They range in size from a fist to a 5-gallon bucket. The bigger ones are usually hollow, but regardless of the diameter, they all seem to be about 12"-14" long. It is weird that the conditions were right for them over such a wide area. My nephew was loading a log truck at 0330 Tuesday AM and saw a field of them being made. He said they appeared in the space of 3 or 4 minutes, not over a long period. Maybe alien intervention, and I'm not talking Mexicans here.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts