Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://techpageone.dell.com/technology/windows-xp-end-road/?dgc=BA&cid=272099&lid=5049884&acd=12309189674467600#.Usg6i_u8rE8

How many of us here are still using Windows XP? I know I am. It's what I cut my teeth on and as a user interface to my mind it is still easiest to use. Better read the article though.

I already have Windows 8 on a hard drive but it's tied to a motherboard that died. Gotta see if I can get Microsoft to let me move it to my current computer.

·
Molon Labe
11,990 Posts
I have XP professional too, damn I hate to have to change, and the thing that will probably totally hose me are the CAD programs that I need for the CNC machines, some of them are about $15,000, and at the time Vista was out and they said the programs wouldn't work on Vista very well

Wish the economy was booming, I would sell all the machines and quit

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
I went to Windows 7, hopefully Microsoft will come up with something better than Windows 8 before support for Windows 7 expires...Bill

·
Banned
4,725 Posts
We have to remember that if you have Windows XP on your computer, you are nothing more than a licensee. Microsoft owns it. I believe that this is another attempt to shove Windows 8 down everyone's throat. What do I think of Windows 8 ? I ordered a complete HP Pavilion loaded desktop systems and stupid me didn't realize that it came with Windows 8. I had the system for about a week and sent it back in trade for the same system with Windows 7. From what I have heard through certain channels, Microsoft has spent a bundle patching Windows 8 and now are trying to recoup some of their $$$ R&D.

blade819

·
Registered
167 Posts
From what I have read Microsoft is simply not going to support XP any more. No

more updates or fixes. XP won't turn off and everything you do with you

computer you can still do. You just need to be careful about hackers and

viruses now. The bad guys will be looking to explore any faults they can find

in XP.

Anything running XP has got to be reaching the end of its lifespan. My laptop

has been running slower and slower, even with regular maintenance. I have to

admit that my new tablet with *.1 and a touch screen is pretty fun to play

with.

Dave from LI,NY

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wonder if this is an opportunity for another private enterprise to take over where Microsoft leaves off. An awful lot of happy XP users out there might be willing to pay a yearly fee to remain safe.

·
Molon Labe
11,990 Posts
I doubt if Microsoft will let anybody take over the maintenance of XP, they probably still have the patent on it and the reason they are stopping updates etc is to sell the new programs

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Oh my god guys, I just heard that Ford Motor Company is going to discontinue the Edsel! I don't know what I'm going to do, my Edsel has 4 wheels, a steering wheel, gets 15mpg, an AM radio, cloth seats, only the front windows go down, and cost $3600 new in 1960! It has everything I need! You young whipper snappers who think they need anything more than that just don't know cars! How dare Ford tell me what to drive!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Now we can let Google Chrome be shoved down our throats. They are basically telling me that I have to switch to Chrome or some of my applications may not run. The federal government is not the only one watching us!

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
Catpower, you can continue to run XP on your CAD machines. It's just support and security patch updates that are being cut off.

What I suggest is that you simply do not use them on the Internet. Disconnect them from your LAN if you can. Use them as isolated stand alone computers.

The vast majority of security attacks on computers are either from the Internet or from a LAN that can be accessed from outside your local firewall. Eliminate these two issues and you've eliminated almost all the security problems.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
The other problem, will be software. Newer software, such as MS Office, runs better on newer platforms. Developers run to keep up with the O/S, not the other way around.

After working in the corporate IT world, I came to the conclusion, that it's cheaper to keep up, even with the learning curve.

Comfort is not a good thing.

Best, Dennis

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To compare XP with the Edsel is ludicrous. The Edsel was never popular or well liked. XP has been one of the biggest successes in the history of commerce.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts